ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Ivan Vučica-2
Happy New Year!

1 ANNOUNCE
**********

This is version 0.26.1 of the GNUstep GUI library ('gnustep-gui').

1.1 What is the GNUstep GUI Library?
====================================

It is a library of graphical user interface classes written completely
in the Objective-C language; the classes are based upon Apple's Cocoa
framework.  The library has been enhanced in a number of ways to take
advantage of the GNU system.  These classes include graphical objects
such as buttons, text fields, popup lists, browser lists, and windows;
there are also many associated classes for handling events, colors,
fonts, pasteboards and images.

   The GNUstep GUI Library is designed in two parts.  The first part is
the front-end component which is independent of platform and display
system.  This front-end is combined with a back-end component which
handles all of the display system dependent such as specific calls to
X/Windows.  This design allows the GNUstep applications to have the
"look and feel" of the underlying display system without any changes to
the application, and the library can be easily ported to other display
systems.

   The GNUstep GUI Library requires the GNU Objective-C compiler, the
GNUstep Base Library, the TIFF Graphics library, Independent JPEG
Group's libjpeg library, and a back-end component from the GNUstep
'Back' library.

   Additional functionality may be enabled by installing additional
libraries.  For example, to build the Cairo backend in the GNUstep Back
library, you will need to install Cairo.

1.2 Noteworthy changes in version '0.26.1'

This version is released to conincide with version 1.25.1 of
gnustep-base, which contains changes required for this version of
gnustep-gui and gnustep-back.

   It includes an important workaround for users of GNUstep Objective-C
Runtime (libobjc2) and non-fragile ABI to avoid a bug in interaction
between the clang compiler and the runtime when non-fragile ABI is in
use.  Specifically, Clang and the runtime may disagree on what is the
offset of an ivar in a class's RAM. This manifested in a crash at
application startup due to misalignment of _gcontext inside NSThread.
See the mailing list discussion
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2017-12/msg00129.html)
for more information.

   It also contains the following changes:

   * tests: Cleanup of warnings.
   * tests: Fix text system deallocation test.
   * printing: Undefine __BLOCKS__ before including cups.h, as some
     versions of the header expect that libdispatch is present and used
     if __BLOCKS__ is defined.
   * graphics context: Workaround for Clang+libobjc2+nonfragile ABI
     issue.

1.3 Where can you get it? How can you compile it?

The gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz distribution file has been placed at
<ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core>.

   It is accompanied by gnustep-back-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig, a PGP signature
which you can validate by putting both files in the same directory and
using:

     gpg --verify gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig

   Signature has been created using the key with the following
fingerprint:

     83AA E47C E829 A414 6EF8  3420 CA86 8D4C 9914 9679

   Read the INSTALL file or the GNUstep-HOWTO for installation
instructions.

1.4 Where do I send bug reports?
================================

Please log bug reports on the GNUstep project page
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=gnustep> or send bug reports to
<[hidden email]>.

1.5 Obtaining GNU Software
==========================

Check out the GNUstep web site.  (<http://www.gnustep.org/>), and the
GNU web site.  (<http://www.gnu.org/>)

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Fred Kiefer
I am terribly sorry, but we will have to follow up with a gui/back release 0.26.2 immediately. One of the changes I made between the preparation and the final release broke printing with CUPS, which I didn’t test in between. This has been fixed in git already but is broken in the release. As CUPS is probably the most popular printing mechanism at the moment, we should correct this immediately. And as the release has been out there for a day already it won’t be possible to just provide a new tar with the same version number.

I apologize for the extra work this is causing.
Fred

> [...]
>    * graphics context: Workaround for Clang+libobjc2+nonfragile ABI
>      issue.
>
> 1.3 Where can you get it? How can you compile it?
>
> The gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz distribution file has been placed at
> <ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core>.
>
>    It is accompanied by gnustep-back-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig, a PGP signature
> which you can validate by putting both files in the same directory and
> using:
>
>      gpg --verify gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig
>
>    Signature has been created using the key with the following
> fingerprint:
>
>      83AA E47C E829 A414 6EF8  3420 CA86 8D4C 9914 9679
>
>    Read the INSTALL file or the GNUstep-HOWTO for installation
> instructions.
>
> 1.4 Where do I send bug reports?
> ================================
>
> Please log bug reports on the GNUstep project page

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Ivan Vučica-2
I'll take a look at it.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>    * graphics context: Workaround for Clang+libobjc2+nonfragile ABI
>>      issue.
>>
>> 1.3 Where can you get it? How can you compile it?
>>
>> The gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz distribution file has been placed at
>> <ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core>.
>>
>>    It is accompanied by gnustep-back-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig, a PGP signature
>> which you can validate by putting both files in the same directory and
>> using:
>>
>>      gpg --verify gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig
>>
>>    Signature has been created using the key with the following
>> fingerprint:
>>
>>      83AA E47C E829 A414 6EF8  3420 CA86 8D4C 9914 9679
>>
>>    Read the INSTALL file or the GNUstep-HOWTO for installation
>> instructions.
>>
>> 1.4 Where do I send bug reports?
>> ================================
>>
>> Please log bug reports on the GNUstep project page

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Ivan Vučica-2
This is now done.

Together with updating docs it was about 20-25min of work.

Cutting no-changes releases of back is not fun. Do we need to do it?
Will -gui reject -back with mismatching minor version?

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>      issue.
>>>
>>> 1.3 Where can you get it? How can you compile it?
>>> =================================================
>>>
>>> The gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz distribution file has been placed at
>>> <ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core>.
>>>
>>>    It is accompanied by gnustep-back-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig, a PGP signature
>>> which you can validate by putting both files in the same directory and
>>> using:
>>>
>>>      gpg --verify gnustep-gui-0.26.1.tar.gz.sig
>>>
>>>    Signature has been created using the key with the following
>>> fingerprint:
>>>
>>>      83AA E47C E829 A414 6EF8  3420 CA86 8D4C 9914 9679
>>>
>>>    Read the INSTALL file or the GNUstep-HOWTO for installation
>>> instructions.
>>>
>>> 1.4 Where do I send bug reports?
>>> ================================
>>>
>>> Please log bug reports on the GNUstep project page

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Yavor Doganov-3
В Mon, 01 Jan 2018 23:07:11 +0000, Ivan Vučica написа:

> Cutting no-changes releases of back is not fun. Do we need to do it?
> Will -gui reject -back with mismatching minor version?

Debian's current packaging requires full match between the GUI/Back
versions, but that's easy to change (I think).  We made it that way
very long time ago because we were told [1] that there were always
going to be releases in sync as it's basically the same thing.  We
were told it was a good thing -gui to depend on the very same version
of -back in order to eliminate eventual incompatibilities.

I just changed back's Info-gnustep.plist on my system, bumping all
four version-related keys, and there was no problem.  Starting apps
with --GNU-Debug=BackendBundle confirms the bundle is found, and as
far as I can see from the code in NSApplication.m there doesn't seem
to be a minor version check.

[1] I don't remember who exactly, but was a prominent GNUstep core
    developer -- Richard, Fred, Gregory or Adam.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

David Chisnall-7
On 2 Jan 2018, at 07:13, Yavor Doganov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> В Mon, 01 Jan 2018 23:07:11 +0000, Ivan Vučica написа:
>
>> Cutting no-changes releases of back is not fun. Do we need to do it?
>> Will -gui reject -back with mismatching minor version?
>
> Debian's current packaging requires full match between the GUI/Back
> versions, but that's easy to change (I think).  We made it that way
> very long time ago because we were told [1] that there were always
> going to be releases in sync as it's basically the same thing.  We
> were told it was a good thing -gui to depend on the very same version
> of -back in order to eliminate eventual incompatibilities.

Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?  As far as I know, neither -gui nor -back is useable without the other.  Having them as separate releases doesn’t seem to help anyone.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Fred Kiefer
Thank you Ivan,

I just checked on GitHub and the releases are there, but this time they don’t contain „Assets“. For adding the files to OBS I need a .sig file in addition to the .tar.gz file.

Fred

> Am 02.01.2018 um 00:07 schrieb Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]>:
>
> This is now done.
>
> Together with updating docs it was about 20-25min of work.
>
> Cutting no-changes releases of back is not fun. Do we need to do it?
> Will -gui reject -back with mismatching minor version?
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'll take a look at it.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am terribly sorry, but we will have to follow up with a gui/back release 0.26.2 immediately. One of the changes I made between the preparation and the final release broke printing with CUPS, which I didn’t test in between. This has been fixed in git already but is broken in the release. As CUPS is probably the most popular printing mechanism at the moment, we should correct this immediately. And as the release has been out there for a day already it won’t be possible to just provide a new tar with the same version number.
>>>
>>> I apologize for the extra work this is causing.
>>> Fred

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Yavor Doganov-3
В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:20:39 +0000, David Chisnall написа:

> Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?

One good reason to have -back as a separate package containing
dynamically loadable bundles is that you can switch the backends all
the time without hassle and that's sometimes useful, particularly for
testing/debugging purposes.  It also allows the user to override the
system administrator's decision and change to a different backend
(provided it's installed, of course).

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

David Chisnall-7
On 2 Jan 2018, at 07:29, Yavor Doganov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:20:39 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
>
>> Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?
>
> One good reason to have -back as a separate package containing
> dynamically loadable bundles is that you can switch the backends all
> the time without hassle and that's sometimes useful, particularly for
> testing/debugging purposes.  It also allows the user to override the
> system administrator's decision and change to a different backend
> (provided it's installed, of course).

Having it as a separate loadable library / bundle has definite value, but that’s not what I was asking.  The -base package, for example, had an optional loadable bundle for using OpenSSL, but we never released that as a separate package.  Releasing a single tarball of -gui that included -back would make version mismatches harder and would not lose the ability to install multiple back ends.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Yavor Doganov-3
В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:37:35 +0000, David Chisnall написа:

> On 2 Jan 2018, at 07:29, Yavor Doganov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:20:39 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
>>> Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?
>>
>> One good reason to have -back as a separate package
>
> Having it as a separate loadable library / bundle has definite value,
> but that’s not what I was asking.

Right, I misenderstood; sorry.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Ivan Vučica-2
On Tue, Jan 2, 2018, 07:21 David Chisnall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?  As far as I know, neither -gui nor -back is useable without the other.  Having them as separate releases doesn’t seem to help anyone.

David

At this time it would be a slight pain to include both.

Particularly since 'make git-dist' is even simpler than 'make svn-dist' and just invokes git-archive.

Even if built separately, we'd have to merge them back into the same repository (losing some of the history in the process) or write custom dist stuff that would unpack both tarballs and create a single tarball (we'd still want to tag them together).

It's a good idea to pack them together, just slightly impractical at this time.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Wolfgang Lux

> Am 02.01.2018 um 08:37 schrieb David Chisnall <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 2 Jan 2018, at 07:29, Yavor Doganov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:20:39 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
>>
>>> Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?
>>
>> One good reason to have -back as a separate package containing
>> dynamically loadable bundles is that you can switch the backends all
>> the time without hassle and that's sometimes useful, particularly for
>> testing/debugging purposes.  It also allows the user to override the
>> system administrator's decision and change to a different backend
>> (provided it's installed, of course).
>
> Having it as a separate loadable library / bundle has definite value, but that’s not what I was asking.  The -base package, for example, had an optional loadable bundle for using OpenSSL, but we never released that as a separate package.  Releasing a single tarball of -gui that included -back would make version mismatches harder and would not lose the ability to install multiple back ends.

I think the point that Yavor was referring to is that we have three different options for the -back library, which are chosen at configuration time. So I think the idea would be that packagers could choose to provide packages for -back configured with the art backend, the cairo backend and the xlib backend. Note that you can have all three different versions installed on the same system being able to switch backends at runtime just via user defaults. I presume doing something similar with a single gui/back package would be rather difficult.

Wolfgang

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Derek Fawcus-3
On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 05:36:25PM +0000, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Even if built separately, we'd have to merge them back into the same
> repository (losing some of the history in the process)

Why would you lose history?

A git repro can have multiple initial commits, so just commit a merge for
joining the tips of the two sets of histories.

DF

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Ivan Vučica-2
On Tue 2 Jan 2018 at 23:22 Derek Fawcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 05:36:25PM +0000, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Even if built separately, we'd have to merge them back into the same
> repository (losing some of the history in the process)

Why would you lose history?

A git repro can have multiple initial commits, so just commit a merge for
joining the tips of the two sets of histories.

DF

True. Feels bad though.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile on iPad

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Perhaps agreed with Wolfgang Lux and Yavor Doganov - I experienced a severe bug (discussed in a separate thread, the characters overlap) with the cairo backend, and installing the art backend package instead helped as a workaround. This was only possible because they were separate packages on Debian. It doesn't have the fix from upstream in its packages yet. On a source based distro configuration options are exposed to the users but on Debian they are not and they may need to be separate packages.

Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

Yavor Doganov-3
В Thu, 04 Jan 2018 14:31:34 +1100, Svetlana Tkachenko написа:

> On a source based distro configuration options are exposed to the
> users but on Debian they are not and they may need to be separate
> packages.

We can build multiple binary packages from one source package.  This
was David's point, I think.  If GUI and Back were distributed
together in a single tarball, it would be entirely possible, in theory
and in practice, Debian to provide the same set of binary packages.

It's a matter of evaulating which approach is better.  In Debian,
large source packages with many binary packages are frowned upon as
they tend to get more complex, more likely to get entangled in library
transitions and add to the workload of the security team and the
buildd network.

But it shouldn't matter what Debian prefers.