ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

Josh Freeman
    PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.

    New in 1.0 BETA9:
- Users’ custom grid & background pattern presets can now be used when
exporting images
- GNUstep: Custom UI theme (in-window menus, improved contrast)
- GNUstep: Various fixes & tweaks

    Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png

    PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 for GNUstep must currently be built from
source code (no downloadable binaries yet); It's compatible with
either of GNUstep's compiler+runtime setups (GCC+gobjc or clang
+objc2), and requires the following GS library versions (or later):
GNUstep Base: v1.24.9 (released Mar. 20, 2016)
GNUstep GUI & Back: v0.25.0 (released Jun. 15, 2016)

    PikoPixel's source archive is available from its website or from
the GNUstep Software Index:
http://twilightedge.com/mac/pikopixel/
http://gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=203

    Please send questions, comments, or issues to pikopixel (at)
twilightedge (dot) com.

Cheers,

Josh

Re: ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

Is PikoPixel listed in directory.fsf.org?
If not, it would be good to enter it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

On Feb 26, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:

>   PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
> OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.
>
>   New in 1.0 BETA9:
> - Users’ custom grid & background pattern presets can now be used
> when exporting images
> - GNUstep: Custom UI theme (in-window menus, improved contrast)
> - GNUstep: Various fixes & tweaks
>
>   Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
> http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png
>
>   PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 for GNUstep must currently be built from
> source code (no downloadable binaries yet); It's compatible with
> either of GNUstep's compiler+runtime setups (GCC+gobjc or clang
> +objc2), and requires the following GS library versions (or later):
> GNUstep Base: v1.24.9 (released Mar. 20, 2016)
> GNUstep GUI & Back: v0.25.0 (released Jun. 15, 2016)

    An update for PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 is now available: 1.0 BETA9a.

    PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9a has several fixes for the GNUstep version (no
significant Mac changes):
- Fixed build issue on FreeBSD
- Workaround for NSSegmentedControl mouseclick issue
- Improved integration with freedesktop.org environments

    The updated version can be downloaded from the website or from the
http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=204

On Mar 2, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Josh Freeman wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:
>
>>  PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
>> OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.
>>
>>  New in 1.0 BETA9:
>> - Users’ custom grid & background pattern presets can now be used
>> when exporting images
>> - GNUstep: Custom UI theme (in-window menus, improved contrast)
>> - GNUstep: Various fixes & tweaks
>>
>>  Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
>> http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png
>>
>>  PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 for GNUstep must currently be built from
>> source code (no downloadable binaries yet); It's compatible with
>> either of GNUstep's compiler+runtime setups (GCC+gobjc or clang
>> +objc2), and requires the following GS library versions (or later):
>> GNUstep Base: v1.24.9 (released Mar. 20, 2016)
>> GNUstep GUI & Back: v0.25.0 (released Jun. 15, 2016)
>
>   An update for PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 is now available: 1.0 BETA9a.

    An update for PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9a is now available: 1.0 BETA9b.

    PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9b has several fixes for the GNUstep version (no
significant Mac changes):
- Fixed window issues on Budgie, Cinnamon, GNOME, & Pantheon desktops
- Various UI Fixes

    The updated version can be downloaded from the website, the
GNUstep Software Index, or the FSF's Free Software Directory:
http://twilightedge.com/mac/pikopixel/
http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=205
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/PikoPixel

    PikoPixel is now packaged on several distros, thanks to the
packagers:
- Debian 10 package by Gürkan Myczko & Yavor Doganov
- FreeBSD port by David Chisnall
- Gentoo package by Bernard Cafarelli

    On Debian 10 & Ubuntu 18.04, PikoPixel can also be installed from
a Software-Center App, such as GNOME Software (Ubuntu Software), or
KDE Discover.

    For Debian-based distros released before the PP package was added
(Debian 9, Raspbian Stretch, & Ubuntu 16.10+), there's now an easy
install script at:
http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/install_script.html

    Please send questions, comments, or issues to pikopixel (at)
twilightedge (dot) com.

Cheers,

Josh

Re: ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

Josh Freeman
On Feb 26, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:

>   PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
> OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.
>
>   Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
> http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png
>
>   PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9 for GNUstep must currently be built from
> source code (no downloadable binaries yet); It's compatible with
> either of GNUstep's compiler+runtime setups (GCC+gobjc or clang
> +objc2), and requires the following GS library versions (or later):
> GNUstep Base: v1.24.9 (released Mar. 20, 2016)
> GNUstep GUI & Back: v0.25.0 (released Jun. 15, 2016)

    An updated version of PikoPixel, 1.0 BETA9c, is now available at:
http://twilightedge.com/mac/pikopixel/

    1.0 BETA9c has a couple fixes for the GNUstep version (no
significant Mac changes):
- Fixed occasional crash while resizing a document window[1]
- Fixed window issues on KDE Plasma, MATE, & Xfce desktops[2]

    Packages and/or build scripts are available for: Arch, Debian,
Fedora, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Raspbian, & Ubuntu.

    Please send questions, comments, or issues to pikopixel (at)
twilightedge (dot) com.

Cheers,

Josh

[1] If the window was resized to within a few pixels of the canvas
dimensions, it could get caught in an infinite loop of showing &
hiding the scrollers. This appears to be PikoPixel-specific rather
than a GNUstep issue, due to some custom layout changes PP makes to
scrollviews during a resize.

[2] Maximizing a document window would leave transparent gaps along
the edges of the maximized window.

Re: ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

Josh Freeman
On Feb 26, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:

>  PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
> OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.
>
>  Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
> http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png

    A new version of PikoPixel has been released: 1.0 BETA9d.

    1.0 BETA9d fixes various UI issues when running under the
following environments: Budgie, Cinnamon, GNOME, Pantheon, Unity,
Window Maker, & Xfce.

    Packages and/or build scripts are available for:
- Arch: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pikopixel/
- Debian: http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/debian.html
- Fedora: http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/fedora_install_script.html
- FreeBSD: https://www.freshports.org/graphics/pikopixel/
- Gentoo: http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/gentoo.html
- Raspbian: http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/install_script.html
- Ubuntu: http://twilightedge.com/gnustep/pikopixel/ubuntu.html

    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 includes PikoPixel in its default
installation. (Ubuntu Studio is an official flavor of Ubuntu Linux,
designed for multimedia content creation: http://ubuntustudio.org/ )

    PikoPixel's sources are available at:
http://twilightedge.com/mac/pikopixel/

    Building PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9d from source requires a GNUstep
development environment with either of the supported compiler/runtime
setups (GCC+gobjc or clang+objc2), and the following GS library
versions (or later):
GNUstep Base: v1.24.9
GNUstep GUI & Back: v0.25.0

    Please send questions, comments, or issues to pikopixel (at)
twilightedge (dot) com.

Cheers,

Josh

Re: ANN: New version of PikoPixel, pixel-art editor

Arthur de Gobineau

Very cool Josh, congrats on the new release!

Arch users should keep in mind that due to a bug in the current release version of gnustep-back involving freetype2, Pikopixel will not work correctly on Arch because of this. I've messaged the maintainer of the gnustep-back package but it seems he hasn't fixed the issue yet.

In the meantime, you can add the following line to your gnustep-back PKGBUILD during reinstall and trick it into compiling correctly. Put it in the Build() block, right after the cd command.

sed -i 's/type=no/type=yes/' configure

Hope that helps.

On 10/15/18 12:06 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:
[...]

Bertrand Dekoninck
Le 15/10/2018 à 06:06, Josh Freeman a écrit :
> On Feb 26, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Josh Freeman wrote:
>
>>  PikoPixel is a free, open-source (AGPLv3) pixel-art editor for Mac
>> OS X & GNUstep. A new version, 1.0 BETA9, is now available.
>>
>>  Screenshot of PikoPixel 1.0 BETA9, running on Debian 9:
>> http://twilightedge.com/screens/pp10b9gs.png

Congratulations !
And still the moment for bug reports. :-/

Pikopixel doesn't seem to deal well with other themes on GNUstep, now
that it has its own and overrides GNUstep defaults..

The theme changing dialog in the Info panel is now buggy : when I switch
to the default GNUstep theme, Pikopixel sets its own theme, instead of
the default one. Which is sensible but a little tough. But the real
problem is that if I want to change again to another theme, all my
themes are listed with the same name "Pikostep" in the Info panel and I
can't change to another. I can only "revert to default theme", which
sets my Rik theme as it is the default one.

Which is more annoying is an incompatibility with PikoPixel and the Rik.
theme for me : it crashes at startup.

Since revision beta9a, Pikopixel segfaults on dry launch, right after
that I push the OK button of the first dialog (creating an empty
window). It doesn't occur when I open an image with it (using the
context menu of GWorkspace).

I've launched it in GDB and got this backtrace :

#0  0x00007ffff646798b in objc_msg_lookup ()
    from /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libobjc.so.4.6
#1  0x00007fffec5469de in -[DefaultButtonAnimation setCurrentProgress:] (
     self=0x1b2e120, _cmd=0x7ffff7c40870 <.objc_selector_list+1488>,
     progress=0.354128569) at NSWindow+Rik.m:35
#2  0x00007ffff7568a5c in -[NSAnimation animatorStep:] (self=0x1b2e120,
     _cmd=0x7ffff7d42bd0 <.objc_selector_list+352>,
     elapsedTime=0.24788999557495117) at NSAnimation.m:1038
#3  0x00007ffff7899cab in -[GSAnimator stepAnimation] (self=0x1a8a9b0,
     _cmd=0x7ffff7d42c10 <.objc_selector_list+416>) at GSAnimator.m:168
#4  0x00007ffff789a6a8 in -[GSAnimator(private) _animationLoop] (
     self=0x1a8a9b0, _cmd=0x7ffff7d42c30 <.objc_selector_list+448>)
     at GSAnimator.m:248
#5  0x00007ffff6add964 in -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:] (
     self=0x1a8a9b0, _cmd=0x7ffff7095630 <.objc_selector_list+32>,
     aSelector=0x7ffff7d42c30 <.objc_selector_list+448>, anObject=0x1a594a0)
     at NSObject.m:1808
#6  0x00007ffff6b981c3 in -[NSTimer fire] (self=0x1a594a0,
     _cmd=0x7ffff7082300 <.objc_selector_list+752>) at NSTimer.m:283
#7  0x00007ffff6b43cf7 in -[NSRunLoop _limitDateForContext:]
(self=0x1102c60,
     _cmd=0x7ffff7082370 <.objc_selector_list+864>, context=0x1125960)
     at NSRunLoop.m:1011

There seems to be an incompatibility between the NSButton methods
reimplemented in Rik and Pikopixel, right ?

Anyway, Pikpixel is still very impresssive and the new theme is very nice.
Bertrand

On Oct 15, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

> Pikopixel doesn't seem to deal well with other themes on GNUstep,
> now that it has its own and overrides GNUstep defaults..
>
> The theme changing dialog in the Info panel is now buggy : when I
> switch to the default GNUstep theme, Pikopixel sets its own theme,
> instead of the default one. Which is sensible but a little tough.
> But the real problem is that if I want to change again to another
> theme, all my themes are listed with the same name "Pikostep" in the
> Info panel and I can't change to another. I can only "revert to
> default theme", which sets my Rik theme as it is the default one.

    Thanks for the bug report - I didn't know the Info panel allowed
you to change themes, so I'll look into this.
(For anyone else who didn't know, the standard GNUstep app Info panel
has a hidden button: If you click on the bottom line of the Info text
("Current theme: ..."), it will display a theme-selection panel that
lets you switch to a different installed theme).

    PikoPixel's custom theme is installed when the app starts, and
only if you're using GNUstep's standard (built-in) theme. The custom
theme currently doesn't support on-the-fly theme-switching while the
app is running.

    If you want to change themes on-the-fly while PP runs, or if you
prefer GNUstep's built-in theme, you can disable PP's custom theme by
setting 'PPDisableGSThemeCustomizations' in PikoPixel's defaults:

defaults write PikoPixel PPDisableGSThemeCustomizations YES

> Which is more annoying is an incompatibility with PikoPixel and the
> Rik. theme for me : it crashes at startup.
>
> Since revision beta9a, Pikopixel segfaults on dry launch, right
> after that I push the OK button of the first dialog (creating an
> empty window). It doesn't occur when I open an image with it (using
> the context menu of GWorkspace).

    Thanks for this info. I can reproduce the crash, and it appears to
be a bug in Rik.theme (I used the fork at https://github.com/BertrandDekoninck/rik.theme
  ):

    Rik.theme replaces the implementation of -[NSWindow
setDefaultButtonCell:] in order to set up an animation that pulses the
window's default button. Rik.theme's animation controller retains the
default button cell that was passed, and the animation will
continuously call [[defaultbuttoncell controlview] setNeedsDisplay:
YES] to update the button.

    However, the animation is never stopped, so it will continue
sending setNeedsDisplay: messages even after the window is ordered
out, up until the app exits (for every default button that's been
displayed).

    If a window is unloaded (several of PikoPixel's sheets are
released once they're dismissed, including its initial size sheet),
the default button cell will stick around, since the animation
controller retained it, but the cell will contain a pointer to a now-
deallocated control view (NSActionCells don't retain their control
views, presumably to prevent retain loops), and sending it a
setNeedsDisplay: message will crash.

    To show this is the cause of the issue, you can prevent the
control view from deallocating by retaining it as well - change
rik.theme's NSWindow+Rik.m, line 35:

         [[defaultbuttoncell controlview] setNeedsDisplay: YES];
->
         [[[defaultbuttoncell controlview] retain] setNeedsDisplay:
YES];

    (Note that this is just for demonstration, and not a fix, since it
will leak the control view & run up its retain count. A fix would
probably involve registering for NSWindowDidResignKey notifications
and stopping animation when the notification was received).

Cheers,

Josh