Dev meeting 2018?

Ivan Vučica-2
Hi,

Meeting with Richard and Fred at FOSDEM was good.

If you have an opinion, please answer this: Do we want another meeting later in 2018? Location to be determined.

If you believe that 'yes' is the answer, before answering 'yes', consider also saying why; what concrete goals do you want to achieve? Some other answers include 'no' and 'not in 2018, but yes in 20YY.'

What I would not be a fan of is planning a meeting 'just' to meet or discuss 'what I want'. I think many things we have discussed in 2015 still apply. And organizing meetings like this is complicated and possibly expensive for the organizer, and *definitely* expensive for the attendees.

I'd myself find it more useful to have a multiday hackathon with specific workgroups agreeing to specific goals and perhaps an overarching theme. Maybe only a few talks and topics to actually discuss.

Re: Dev meeting 2018?

Richard Frith-Macdonald-9

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 15:23, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Meeting with Richard and Fred at FOSDEM was good.

Yews, it was great to saee you again, along with the other GNUstep related people we were able to meet.  FOSDEM is a good place to meet old friends again.

> If you have an opinion, please answer this: Do we want another meeting later in 2018? Location to be determined.
>
> If you believe that 'yes' is the answer, before answering 'yes', consider also saying why; what concrete goals do you want to achieve? Some other answers include 'no' and 'not in 2018, but yes in 20YY.'
>
> What I would not be a fan of is planning a meeting 'just' to meet or discuss 'what I want'. I think many things we have discussed in 2015 still apply. And organizing meetings like this is complicated and possibly expensive for the organizer, and *definitely* expensive for the attendees.
>
> I'd myself find it more useful to have a multiday hackathon with specific workgroups agreeing to specific goals and perhaps an overarching theme. Maybe only a few talks and topics to actually discuss.

All that makes sense to me.  In particular I would like to meet new people, who have not been core developers in the past, to try and collaborate on their pet projects (concrete goals).  We can get a lot done in a hackathon if there are concrete targets.