Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

edwin ancaer
Hello guys,

this question might seem basic, but hey, even the averagely talented
people should be able to use GNUstep to turn their lives into a
nightmare...

I would like to know what the default behaviour is when clicking on
the title bar of a window, because I see 2 things happening
intermittently:

* The first behaviour:  the window seems to scroll up, leaving only
the title bar visible, thereby sometime leaving white rectangles on
the screen with the width of the original window, that go away when
the screen gets redrawn.
When only the title bar was visible, clicking it restores the window.

* The second behaviour is that I can drag the window around with the
mouse, whole window visible or only titlebar visible.

It is not making GNUstep unusable, but if feels a little buggy.

A second question pops up: is the maillist the best way to report this
kind of beaviour, or should I report this as a bug. I can imagine
nicer things to do than following up a never ending list of bug
reports.

Anyway, thanks for your time,

Edwin Ancaer

As this mail is written with GNUMail, and I did not find the way to do
some elementary markup, it does not look as good as it could.
Also, as I rely heavily on a spell checker to correct my English, you
might find lots of mistakes. I did not find a spell checker eiter. :-)

Re: Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

Riccardo Mottola-5
Hi Edwin,

On 08/25/2018 06:36 AM, edwin ancaer wrote:
> this question might seem basic, but hey, even the averagely talented
> people should be able to use GNUstep to turn their lives into a
> nightmare...

asking is never a crime!

> I would like to know what the default behaviour is when clicking on
> the title bar of a window, because I see 2 things happening
> intermittently:
>
> * The first behaviour:  the window seems to scroll up, leaving only
> the title bar visible, thereby sometime leaving white rectangles on
> the screen with the width of the original window, that go away when
> the screen gets redrawn.
> When only the title bar was visible, clicking it restores the window.
>
> * The second behaviour is that I can drag the window around with the
> mouse, whole window visible or only titlebar visible.
>
> It is not making GNUstep unusable, but if feels a little buggy.

If you are running windowmaker and use the default behaviour of letting
GNUstep give over the window decoration to the window manager, the
behaviour is almost expected.
However, the two behaviours are very distinct.
Also, in this case I believe it is not a GNUstep "bug" or "feature" at all

Click-down and drag is as expected to allow you moving the window.
Double-click usually "wraps" the window to the title bar, leaving the
ability to roll it down again.
However, depending on your WindowMaker (or generally another window
manager) settings it may happen with the middle mouse button or with the
wheel. If you have a clickable wheel as button then it may happen unwanted?

> A second question pops up: is the maillist the best way to report this
> kind of beaviour, or should I report this as a bug. I can imagine
> nicer things to do than following up a never ending list of bug reports.

I think asking on the Mailinglist is just fine, if it happens to be
really a bug (or a missing feature) that can't be fixed on the fly,
opening the bug is perfect. I don't think it is your case yet.

> As this mail is written with GNUMail, and I did not find the way to do
> some elementary markup, it does not look as good as it could.

Nice that you are really using GNUMail (and that it works enough for you
to write!).
GNUMail has no HTML mail support, so no fancy stuff - which, by the way,
is very fine for posting to mailing list where netiquette is to remain
"ASCII".

> Also, as I rely heavily on a spell checker to correct my English, you
> might find lots of mistakes. I did not find a spell checker eiter. :-)

Oh GNUMail should be able to use GNUstep's spell checker. I wonder if
your GNUstep is built to support it.
To test that, best is to use Ink from a console (in tests-examples) and
use it as a reliable reference.

Type in something then do Edit -> Check Spelling

On the system where I am writing on right now (but which is a fresh
install, I need to tune it) it does not work and on the I see "Model
file load failed for GSSpellPanel"

Cheers,

Re: Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

Gregory Casamento
Edwin,

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 00:39 edwin ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys,

this question might seem basic, but hey, even the averagely talented
people should be able to use GNUstep to turn their lives into a
nightmare...

I would like to know what the default behaviour is when clicking on
the title bar of a window, because I see 2 things happening
intermittently:

* The first behaviour:  the window seems to scroll up, leaving only
the title bar visible, thereby sometime leaving white rectangles on
the screen with the width of the original window, that go away when
the screen gets redrawn.
When only the title bar was visible, clicking it restores the window.

This is the default behavior.  Both of these are features of WindowMaker not of GNUstep.

* The second behaviour is that I can drag the window around with the
mouse, whole window visible or only titlebar visible.

Again. This is a feature of WindowMaker.

It is not making GNUstep unusable, but if feels a little buggy.

Please report these issues to the WindowMaker developers.  You can easily turn both of these “BUGS” off in the WindowMaker WPrefs.app.

The best place to report bugs in GNUSTEP itself id at bugs.gnustep.org

Anyway, thanks for your time,

Edwin Ancaer

As this mail is written with GNUMail, and I did not find the way to do
some elementary markup, it does not look as good as it could.
Also, as I rely heavily on a spell checker to correct my English, you
might find lots of mistakes. I did not find a spell checker eiter. :-)

There is a spellchecker in GNUstep. I wrote it. It may not be used in gnumail though.

Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

edwin ancaer

Let's blame  GNUMail for unexpectedly sending the previous message. As I said, I replaced the mouse,and now everything is working fine: clicking  and double clicking the title bar, using the scroll wheel... it  all work as you described.

Only remaining problem are the unnecessary artefact of the redrawing of the windows as it i scrolling up                                                                    I can imagine there are more urgent problems to solve.

Thanks

Edwin Ancaer

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 11:21 edwin ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's blame  GNUMail for unexpectedly sending the previous message. As I said, I replaced the mouse,and now everything is working fine: clicking  and double clicking the title bar, using the scroll wheel... it  all work as you described.

Cool. I’m glad to hear you solved it.

Only remaining problem are the unnecessary artefact of the redrawing of the windows as it i scrolling up                                                                    I can imagine there are more urgent problems to solve.

This is the window manager not GNUstep.  GNUstep only draws the contents.  You can have GNUstep draw the window itself, but it doesn’t currently do that by default.

Thanks

Edwin Ancaer

On 2018-08-25 17:00:38 +0200 edwin ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Riccardo, Gregory,
> the erroneous behaviour was linked to the mouse
>

> On 2018-08-25 14:18:42 +0200 Gregory Casamento <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Edwin,
>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 00:39 edwin ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Hello guys,
>
>>> this question might seem basic, but hey, even the averagely talented
>>> people should be able to use GNUstep to turn their lives into a
>>> nightmare...
>
>>> I would like to know what the default behaviour is when clicking on
>>> the title bar of a window, because I see 2 things happening
>>> intermittently:
>
>>> * The first behaviour:  the window seems to scroll up, leaving only
>>> the title bar visible, thereby sometime leaving white rectangles on
>>> the screen with the width of the original window, that go away when
>>> the screen gets redrawn.
>>> When only the title bar was visible, clicking it restores the window.
>

>> This is the default behavior.  Both of these are features of WindowMaker
>> not of GNUstep.
>
>> * The second behaviour is that I can drag the window around with the
>>> mouse, whole window visible or only titlebar visible.
>

>> Again. This is a feature of WindowMaker.
>
>> It is not making GNUstep unusable, but if feels a little buggy.
>

>> Please report these issues to the WindowMaker developers.  You can easily
>> turn both of these “BUGS” off in the WindowMaker WPrefs.app.
>
>> A second question pops up: is the maillist the best way to report this
>>> kind of beaviour, or should I report this as a bug. I can imagine
>>> nicer things to do than following up a never ending list of bug
>>> reports.
>

>> The best place to report bugs in GNUSTEP itself id at bugs.gnustep.org.
>

>>> Anyway, thanks for your time,
>
>>> Edwin Ancaer
>
>>> As this mail is written with GNUMail, and I did not find the way to do
>>> some elementary markup, it does not look as good as it could.
>>> Also, as I rely heavily on a spell checker to correct my English, you
>>> might find lots of mistakes. I did not find a spell checker eiter. :-)
>

>> There is a spellchecker in GNUstep. I wrote it. It may not be used in
>> gnumail though.

Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

edwin ancaer wrote:
> Let's blame  GNUMail for unexpectedly sending the previous message. As I said, I replaced the mouse,and now everything is working fine: clicking  and double clicking the title bar, using the scroll wheel... it  all work as you described.

I supposed so - there were issues with the mouse buttons event, since
the two things: drag and roll up are distinct events tied to distinct
buttons.

> Only remaining problem are the unnecessary artefact of the redrawing of the windows as it i scrolling up                                                                    I can imagine there are more urgent problems to solve.

Not totally urgent indeed .... Can you explain better what is happening?
Especially, where are the artifacts:
1) in "any" background window when you roll-up?
  1.a) or only in gnustep-drawn background windows? e.g. with GWorkspace
running and desktop enabled? In case you have the desktop (which is in
fact an enourmous windows, try disabling it)
  1.b) any app, e.g. xterm, firefox, ?
  1.c) also plain windowmaker background

2) in the "roll-down" window reopening and not drawing correctly? just
gnustep or all apps?

Just to try to understand if it is GNUstep specific or if it happens
also with other apps ? In the first case it is strange but would be our
fault (possibly backend) in the latter case, it is an issue with
windowmaker or even X11 and its video driver.

Re: Expected behavior when clicking on a title bar?

Gregory Casamento
Edwin,

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 13:32 Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

edwin ancaer wrote:
> Let's blame  GNUMail for unexpectedly sending the previous message. As I said, I replaced the mouse,and now everything is working fine: clicking  and double clicking the title bar, using the scroll wheel... it  all work as you described.

I supposed so - there were issues with the mouse buttons event, since
the two things: drag and roll up are distinct events tied to distinct
buttons.

> Only remaining problem are the unnecessary artefact of the redrawing of the windows as it i scrolling up                                                                    I can imagine there are more urgent problems to solve.

Not totally urgent indeed .... Can you explain better what is happening?
Especially, where are the artifacts:
1) in "any" background window when you roll-up?
  1.a) or only in gnustep-drawn background windows? e.g. with GWorkspace
running and desktop enabled? In case you have the desktop (which is in
fact an enourmous windows, try disabling it)
  1.b) any app, e.g. xterm, firefox, ?
  1.c) also plain windowmaker background

2) in the "roll-down" window reopening and not drawing correctly? just
gnustep or all apps?

Just to try to understand if it is GNUstep specific or if it happens
also with other apps ? In the first case it is strange but would be our
fault (possibly backend) in the latter case, it is an issue with
windowmaker or even X11 and its video driver.

Riccardo

This has happened for me under GNUstep and non GNUstep apps.  This is a bug in WindowMaker.    Just my $0.02.

GC

--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

On 2018-08-25 19:31:43 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> edwin ancaer wrote:
>> Let's blame  GNUMail for unexpectedly sending the previous message. As I
>> said, I replaced the mouse,and now everything is working fine: clicking
>> and double clicking the title bar, using the scroll wheel... it  all work
>> as you
>
> I supposed so - there were issues with the mouse buttons event, since
> the two things: drag and roll up are distinct events tied to distinct
> buttons.
>

>> Only remaining problem are the unnecessary artefact of the redrawing of the
>> windows as it i scrolling up
>>                      I can imagine there are more urgent problems t
>
> Not totally urgent indeed .... Can you explain better what is happening?
> Especially, where are the artifacts:
> 1) in "any" background window when you roll-up?
>   1.a) or only in gnustep-drawn background windows? e.g. with GWorkspace
> running and desktop enabled? In case you have the desktop (which is in
> fact an enourmous windows, try disabling it)
>   1.b) any app, e.g. xterm, firefox, ?
>   1.c) also plain windowmaker background
>
> 2) in the "roll-down" window reopening and not drawing correctly? just
> gnustep or all apps?
>
> Just to try to understand if it is GNUstep specific or if it happens
> also with other apps ? In the first case it is strange but would be our
> fault (possibly backend) in the latter case, it is an issue with
> windowmaker or even X11 and its video driver.
>

> Riccardo

Hello,

sorry it took so long to answer, but it was time for some holidays, and the laptop is not coming with us.

As I see things, I only have problems when 2 windows from a GNUStep application overlap, with and without GWorkspace. I find no issues with non-GNUStep applications, or when one of the applications is not a GNUStep application.

It looks as though parts of the window that are redrawn during the scrolling up remain on the screen. I attached a photograph I took from the screen, because the problem does not show up when I take a screenshot.

<Before_Scrolling.jpeg>
<After_Scrolling.jpeg>

(and another remark onGNUStep: attaching a file seems not to be working completely: it is just including the file in the mail)

There is no error scrolling down. The process is a bit 'flickery' but the result is correct.

Of course, if I'm the only one to notice this, it might also be something with my installation of GNUStep.

For FreeBSD, I have the following version (uname -a)

    FreeBSD ottopedi 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug  9 11:17:49 UTC 2017            [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

For GNUstep, following versions are installed:

    libgnustep-base.so.1.25.0
    libgnustep-gui.so.0.25.1
    libgnustep-back-025.bundle

Before_Scrolling.jpeg (116K) Download Attachment
After_Scrolling.jpeg (119K) Download Attachment

edwin ancaer wrote:
> It looks as though parts of the window that are redrawn during the scrolling up remain on the screen. I attached a photograph I took from the screen, because the problem does not show up when I take a screenshot.

If it doesn't work in a screenshot, it sounds like an update problem at
a lower-level than the one GNUstep manages.

> <Before_Scrolling.jpeg>
> <After_Scrolling.jpeg>
>
> (and another remark onGNUStep: attaching a file seems not to be working completely: it is just including the file in the mail)
I suppose you refer to GNUMail? GNUstep has no "attaching". In that case
it should work, I use it regularly

> There is no error scrolling down. The process is a bit 'flickery' but the result is correct.
>
> Of course, if I'm the only one to notice this, it might also be something with my installation of GNUStep.

I tried a couple of systems and cannot reproduce this, but I will keep
my eye open.
It might be also some kind of bug in your cairo library, video driver or
such.

On 2018-09-11 11:36:39 +0200 Riccardo Mottola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> edwin ancaer wrote:
>> It looks as though parts of the window that are redrawn during the
>> scrolling up remain on the screen. I attached a photograph I took
>> from the
>> screen, because the problem does not show up when I take a
>> screenshot.
>
> If it doesn't work in a screenshot, it sounds like an update problem
> at a
> lower-level than the one GNUstep manages.
>

>> <Before_Scrolling.jpeg>
>> <After_Scrolling.jpeg>
>
>> (and another remark onGNUStep: attaching a file seems not to be
>> working
>> completely: it is just including the file in the mail)
> I suppose you refer to GNUMail? GNUstep has no "attaching". In that
> case it
> should work, I use it regularly
>
>> There is no error scrolling down. The process is a bit 'flickery'
>> but the
>> result is correct.
>
>> Of course, if I'm the only one to notice this, it might also be
>> something
>> with my installation of GNUStep.
>
> I tried a couple of systems and cannot reproduce this, but I will
> keep my eye
> open.
> It might be also some kind of bug in your cairo library, video driver
> or such.
>
> Riccardo

Riccardo,

GNUMail works well enough: even the attachments work, as you said. I
had not expected that the pictures would be added at the bottom of the
mail.
I should have scrolled down: GNUMail: 1 - Me: 0!

It's not yet a relacement for GMail, but one never knows...

Thanks,

into GNUstep