FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

edwin ancaer
Hello all,

I was experimenting with poudriere, jails and the ports in FreeBSD when
I read about the new version 1.3.0 of GNUMail and Pantomime,

I thought it would be a good test to try and locally update these ports. Of course I ran  into a problem. After typing make install, I get the following error:

gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/GNUMail-1.3.0'
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===>   Installing ldconfig configuration file
===>  Installing for gnumail-1.3.0_1
===>  Checking if gnumail already installed
===>   Registering installation for gnumail-1.3.0_1
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/GNUMail.framework/Versions/1/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory
pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory
*** Error code 74

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail

When checking, it seems the file  libGNUMail.so.1.2.3 has been built in the directory /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/.

Now I'm in doubt in which direction I should be looking: did the wrong version of libGNUMail got build, or is it pkg-static that is looking for a wrong version of the library.

Thanks for helping out,

Edwin Ancaer

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

David Chisnall-6
On 2 Aug 2018, at 10:16, Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was experimenting with poudriere, jails and the ports in FreeBSD when
> I read about the new version 1.3.0 of GNUMail and Pantomime,

First, thank you very much for looking at this!  It’s been on my todo list for a while and keeps being bumped off the top.

> I thought it would be a good test to try and locally update these ports. Of course I ran  into a problem. After typing make install, I get the following error:
>
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/GNUMail-1.3.0'
> ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
> ===>   Installing ldconfig configuration file
> ===>  Installing for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> ===>  Checking if gnumail already installed
> ===>   Registering installation for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/GNUMail.framework/Versions/1/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory

This looks suspicious.  The path /usr/local/poudriere/ports is a path on your host system, but poudriere should be running the build in a jail.

> *** Error code 74
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail
>
> When checking, it seems the file  libGNUMail.so.1.2.3 has been built in the directory /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/.

This also looks a bit odd, because this filesystem should be mounted read-only in the jail.  The work directory should be somewhere else (a separate zfs or tmpfs filesystem that’s destroyed after the build).

> Now I'm in doubt in which direction I should be looking: did the wrong version of libGNUMail got build, or is it pkg-static that is looking for a wrong version of the library.

It looks as if your poudriere configuration or invocation is wrong.  Could you paste the poudriere commands that you used to create the jails and ports tree and the testport line?

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

edwin ancaer
Hello,

publicly ask a question and then you suddenly see that stupid error you did not find before......

I've got poudriere working now and build all the necessary ports for GNUMail and Pantomime. It took almost 16 hours on this old laptop (especiallyclang is very hard for this machine).

Of course, I built it from the default ports tree, which was not  changed, but the result looked OK.

I hope to find the time to build the updated ports tomorrow.

Thanks,

Edwin Ancaer

On 2 Aug 2018, at 10:16, Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was experimenting with poudriere, jails and the ports in FreeBSD when
> I read about the new version 1.3.0 of GNUMail and Pantomime,

First, thank you very much for looking at this!  It’s been on my todo list for a while and keeps being bumped off the top.

> I thought it would be a good test to try and locally update these ports. Of course I ran  into a problem. After typing make install, I get the following error:
>
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/GNUMail-1.3.0'
> ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
> ===>   Installing ldconfig configuration file
> ===>  Installing for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> ===>  Checking if gnumail already installed
> ===>   Registering installation for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/GNUMail.framework/Versions/1/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory

This looks suspicious.  The path /usr/local/poudriere/ports is a path on your host system, but poudriere should be running the build in a jail.

> *** Error code 74
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail
>
> When checking, it seems the file  libGNUMail.so.1.2.3 has been built in the directory /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/.

This also looks a bit odd, because this filesystem should be mounted read-only in the jail.  The work directory should be somewhere else (a separate zfs or tmpfs filesystem that’s destroyed after the build).

> Now I'm in doubt in which direction I should be looking: did the wrong version of libGNUMail got build, or is it pkg-static that is looking for a wrong version of the library.

It looks as if your poudriere configuration or invocation is wrong.  Could you paste the poudriere commands that you used to create the jails and ports tree and the testport line?

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

edwin ancaer
Hello,

I think I'm close, but there  still remains a problem.

I built a manually managed port, development1, in the jail squeakjail.

The testport line I used was

sudo poudriere testport -j squeakjail -p development1 -o mail/gnumail

I solved some pkg-plist problems, and the build seemed to finish.
I do not see any obvious error, but the latest executed instructions show the installation and deinstallation of the package for gnumail-1.3.0_1. And indeed, that package is nowhere to be found in
 /usr/local/poudriere/data/logs/bulk/squeakjail-development1/latest-per-pkg, where I find all other packages that have been built.

=>> Checking for extra files and directories
[00:06:32] Installing from package
[squeakjail-development1] Installing gnumail-1.3.0_1...
[squeakjail-development1] Extracting gnumail-1.3.0_1: .......... done
[00:06:34] Cleaning up
===>  Cleaning for gnumail-1.3.0_1
[00:06:34] Deinstalling package
Updating database digests format: . done
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        gnumail-1.3.0_1

Number of packages to be removed: 1

Does anyone have an idea where to look for an indication about what is going wrong.

I attached the logfile for the testport instruction.

Thanks already,

gnumail-1.3.0_1.log (325K) Download Attachment

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

edwin ancaer
He was very close indeed...

And then he realized testport works as it should, and tried poudriere bulk to actually build GNUMail 1.3.0, and it worked. More and more he wished that recall of mails  was possible...

If it can be of use to anybody, the only thing to do was change the version numbers in the Makefiles of the gnustep and the pantomime port. Someone who knows what he is doing gets this done in 10 minutes.

Thanks for your time,

Edwin Ancaer

Op wo 8 aug. 2018 21:24 schreef Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]>:
Hello,
1-

> [...]

> make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail
>
> When checking, it seems the file  libGNUMail.so.1.2.3 has been built in the directory /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/.

This also looks a bit odd, because this filesystem should be mounted read-only in the jail.  The work directory should be somewhere else (a separate zfs or tmpfs filesystem that’s destroyed after the build).

> Now I'm in doubt in which direction I should be looking: did the wrong version of libGNUMail got build, or is it pkg-static that is looking for a wrong version of the library.

It looks as if your poudriere configuration or invocation is wrong.  Could you paste the poudriere commands that you used to create the jails and ports tree and the testport line?

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

Riccardo Mottola-5
Hi Edwin,

Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> If it can be of use to anybody, the only thing to do was change the
> version numbers in the Makefiles of the gnustep and the pantomime
> port. Someone who knows what he is doing gets this done in 10 minutes.

the port or the actually source makefiles of Pantomime and GNUMail ?

Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

edwin ancaer
Riccardo,

I only changed the version number in the port Makefiles.

Kind regards,

Op vr 10 aug. 2018 09:16 schreef Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]>:
Hi Edwin,