Fwd: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Fwd: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Ivan Vučica-2
If people are interested adopting a student this year, please
coordinate, and then get in touch with [hidden email].

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be “appropriate” for me to be a mentor per se, but if anyone wants to continue work on GS+WebKit I’ll be more than willing to work closely with them, and semi-closely if it’s anything else.

(I haven’t discarded doing a second GSoC but given some medium-term plans I’m not really sure I’ll be able to do it.)

— Daniel.

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:06 Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
If people are interested adopting a student this year, please
coordinate, and then get in touch with [hidden email].

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Ivan Vučica-2
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be “appropriate” for me to be a mentor per se,
> but if anyone wants to continue work on GS+WebKit I’ll be more than willing
> to work closely with them, and semi-closely if it’s anything else.

Hi Daniel,

I don't think that's inappropriate as far as GNUstep is concerned.

GSoC says you merely have to choose which option you'd prefer.

Can you write a blurb that we can ask GNU representatives to put on
the ideas page? See summer-of-code mailing list archive for examples.

> (I haven’t discarded doing a second GSoC but given some medium-term plans
> I’m not really sure I’ll be able to do it.)

Let's sit one weekend to help me reproduce your build steps. (I don't
recall at this point; maybe you left good enough documentation that I
could do it myself, but maybe it's better if we sit down and make this
easily reproducible.)

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 5:55 PM, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think that's inappropriate as far as GNUstep is concerned.

By inappropriate I mean that if the student wanted to work on anything
that's not GS+WebKit (or even that actually) my help would be very
limited – they would probably have to rely on Fred, you and others,
much like I had to in order to get work done.

> Can you write a blurb that we can ask GNU representatives to put on
> the ideas page? See summer-of-code mailing list archive for examples.

For GS+WebKit? Definitely. I should have something this week still.

> Let's sit one weekend to help me reproduce your build steps. (I don't
> recall at this point; maybe you left good enough documentation that I
> could do it myself, but maybe it's better if we sit down and make this
> easily reproducible.)

Sure! Can we set this up sometime next week?

-- Daniel.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Ivan Vučica-2
On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 7:05 AM, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 5:55 PM, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't think that's inappropriate as far as GNUstep is concerned.
>
> By inappropriate I mean that if the student wanted to work on anything
> that's not GS+WebKit (or even that actually) my help would be very
> limited – they would probably have to rely on Fred, you and others,
> much like I had to in order to get work done.

While I would prefer to mentor someone mainly if they do CA-related
work, I am willing to consider helping out on a per-project basis.

It is perfectly valid not to accept a proposal if we believe we can't
mentor it well.

>> Can you write a blurb that we can ask GNU representatives to put on
>> the ideas page? See summer-of-code mailing list archive for examples.
>
> For GS+WebKit? Definitely. I should have something this week still.

Thanks!

>> Let's sit one weekend to help me reproduce your build steps. (I don't
>> recall at this point; maybe you left good enough documentation that I
>> could do it myself, but maybe it's better if we sit down and make this
>> easily reproducible.)
>
> Sure! Can we set this up sometime next week?

As in, week of 22nd Jan? Sure.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

Ivan Vučica-2
Daniel,

did you come up with a blurb?

Any preferences for meeting day? Wed and Thu evenings UTC are taken for me.

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> did you come up with a blurb?

Sorry for the delay.

I was just looking over
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas and I think
what we have there currently serves as a description with the
following adjustments:

<<EOF

Port WebKit

Running WebKit on top of GNUstep will solve a lack of a modern web
view on the framework's stack as well as contribute to parity with
macOS within the project.

As of 2018, a recent revision of WebKit has been successfully built
with GNUstep libraries on Arch Linux + clang + libobjc2.
JavaScriptCore (WebKit's JavaScript engine) is mostly functional;
WebCore and WebKitLegacy.framework are built but a sample browser
still crashes. This has been possible through a series of additions to
GNUstep as well as some patches to WebKit. For more details, see
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/projects/6384501231976448/.

The work ahead involves a *lot* of debugging and implementation of
Foundation/CoreFoundation/CoreGraphics/QuartzCore functions to support
this.

Difficulty: Very High; Experience needed: Expert at C/C++/Objective-C
Runtime and Core* Apple libraries. Debugging skills (e.g. gdb usage)
are also highly recommended.

EOF

Let me know if this format is inappropriate.

> Any preferences for meeting day? Wed and Thu evenings UTC are taken for me.

Thursday night/Friday morning PST work best for me. As far as my
calculations goes this does not conflict with these taken times.

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

David Chisnall-7
Hi,

On 23 Jan 2018, at 10:02, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JavaScriptCore (WebKit's JavaScript engine) is mostly functional;

Looking at your final report, it looks as if the only thing missing to make this work is one function in libobjc2 (which, unfortunately, is hard to add without an ABI change).  Do you have instructions for building JSC and testing the JS <-> ObjC bridge?  I’d like to make sure that the new ABI provides enough to make this work properly before it’s finalised.