GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hello all,

With GNUMail I have a large directory with 19,000 messages in it. When I select one to read it adds a line to console 'loading message from the mailbox'. When I click on another one a second such line appears which is normal. Then I click the first message again and a third line appears which I think is not normal since it is identical to the first one.

Also it takes more than 5 minutes to load the message, I am still waiting.

GNUMail latest from gnustep-nonfsf repository; Debian buster/sid.

--
Svetlana

Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

On 2018-05-19 00:19:33 +0200 Svetlana Tkachenko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> With GNUMail I have a large directory with 19,000 messages in it.
> When I

I don't htink the size is relevant here, I have also 10k and more
messages in mailboxes, although I did some cleaning lately.

> select one to read it adds a line to console 'loading message from
> the
> mailbox'. When I click on another one a second such line appears
> which is
> normal. Then I click the first message again and a third line appears
> which I
> think is not normal since it is identical to the first one.

Each message issues a load, so the behaviour is normal, however
certain messages do not load. Sometimes this causes issues also with
subsequent messages. You may stop them, change to another mailbox and
see if other messages get loaded. Wait after the maailbox has opened
and select "another" message the next time.. does the issue happen
always or only with certain messges?
If GNUMail always opens the first message, there is an expert setting
to disable that behaviour.

I suppose that certain specific message(s) have issues and do not get
loaded. This was happening to me or Sebastain in the past.
Issues could be problems in parsing the headers, problems with
escapes, characterset encodings.

To solve the issue (apart from thecking for errors in console and/or
exceptions) it is necessary to determine which message(s) cause the
issue, isolate them and debug.

Is you mailbox IMAP? Then work can be done using another mail client
to check, move the problematic message in anothe mailbox, check the
headers and even save it to enable somebody else to reproduce the
issue.
if it is Local or POP3 and you do not leave the messages on server,
the only existing copy is on your local machine and this will make
things complicated I fear.

> Also it takes more than 5 minutes to load the message, I am still
> waiting.

I suppose it is not 5 minutes, it is "forever".

> GNUMail latest from gnustep-nonfsf repository; Debian buster/sid.

While running latest, you should please confirm the status of other
open issues you had and report back. Check that it is really latest.

Sent with GNUMail

Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hello Riccardo,

Using POP3, it is indeed "forever" and happens to any message in a particular folder in which there are 19K messages. Other folders within the same account work correctly.

> While running latest, you should please confirm the status of other
> open issues you had and report back. Check that it is really latest.

Is there a way to check this from within GNUMail itself to ensure that I am running the correct version? Please let me know and I would attempt to test the other open issues that I had as soon as possible.

--
Sveta

Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

On 2018-05-19 10:31:15 +0000 Svetlana Tkachenko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Riccardo,
>
> Using POP3, it is indeed "forever" and happens to any message in a
> particular
> folder in which there are 19K messages. Other folders within the same
> account
> work correctly.

that is strange... but it might be that some of the headers confuse
this badly... I don't know.

>> While running latest, you should please confirm the status of other
>> open
>> issues you had and report back. Check that it is really latest.
>
> Is there a way to check this from within GNUMail itself to ensure
> that I am
> running the correct version? Please let me know and I would attempt
> to test
> the other open issues that I had as soon as possible.

well. The right answer is to run "make clean && svn update && make
install" for pantomime and GNUMail

I bumped the release of both to 1.3.0 but it doens't show in the about
box for some reason, I will check that.

Uninstall GNUMail and Pantomime from debian, to be sure you run only
the version you compiled yourself.

Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> Is there a way to check this from within GNUMail itself to ensure that I am running the correct version? Please let me know and I would attempt to test the other open issues that I had as soon as possible.

I forgot to push the relevant updates. If you update now, you will see
1.3.0 in the about box which will the new upcoming release needed
because of the API changes in Pantomime I did.

Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hi Riccardo,

> I forgot to push the relevant updates. If you update now, you will see
> 1.3.0 in the about box which will the new upcoming release needed
> because of the API changes in Pantomime I did.

This version bump works

Mailbox is 90% full today
Need to remove downloaded messages from server (POP3)
Not sure how :-/

May be able to test for the reported bugs soon

--
Svetlana