GNUMail over POP3

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hello All,

GNUMail is set to download messages from server over POP3 and remove them immediately. However a lot of messages are not removed still.  How do I troubleshoot this?

--
Sveta

Re: GNUMail over POP3

Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> GNUMail is set to download messages from server over POP3 and remove them immediately. However a lot of messages are not removed still.  How do I troubleshoot this?

have you tried to issue a "compact" to the mailbox?

Re: GNUMail over POP3

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hi Riccardo,

Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> > GNUMail is set to download messages from server over POP3 and remove them immediately. However a lot of messages are not removed still.  How do I troubleshoot this?
>
> have you tried to issue a "compact" to the mailbox?

Thank you for your suggestion. What does compacting do? Does it not result into GNUMail compressing the files in which the messages are stored?

--
Sveta

Re: GNUMail over POP3

Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
>>> GNUMail is set to download messages from server over POP3 and remove them immediately. However a lot of messages are not removed still.  How do I troubleshoot this?
>> have you tried to issue a "compact" to the mailbox?
> Thank you for your suggestion. What does compacting do? Does it not result into GNUMail compressing the files in which the messages are stored?

as far as I understand it will issue the delete command it the messages
are not to be left on server, otherwise it checks the age of messages.
If that works for you, you can expunge on exit, there is an option for that.

Re: GNUMail over POP3

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hello Riccardo,

Now using the latest version from the gnustep-nonfsf repository ... would like to resolve the POP3 issue first and then re-test the previously reported bugs,

> > Thank you for your suggestion. What does compacting do? Does it not result into GNUMail compressing the files in which the messages are stored?
>
> as far as I understand it will issue the delete command it the messages
> are not to be left on server, otherwise it checks the age of messages.
> If that works for you, you can expunge on exit, there is an option for that.

Thanks for this. It appears that I find the advice above a little difficult to apply.

To me compacting is translated as 'Сжать' (#K) and results into removal of deleted messages which are shown in grey and italic however it does not make a connection to server to remove messages from there.

It is possible to tick the option 'compact mailbox when closing' and 'prompt before compacting a mailbox' (these appear untranslated) options in the Advanced section of settings, but there are no new prompts produced from this, for instance when exiting GNUMail. It is not clear how one may "close" a mailbox in a way that would trigger this prompt.

Not sure where the 'expunge on exit' setting is, I don't see it anywhere in GNUMail or in the Account settings.

--
Sveta