GNUstep and Swift

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Hi there,

Apparently Swift is getting support for ObjC on non Darwin platforms with this. What is our position towards this?

Kind regards,

Lars

Re: GNUstep and Swift

David Chisnall
On 15 Nov 2017, at 16:37, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> anybody here noticed: https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/12702 ?
>
> Apparently Swift is getting support for ObjC on non Darwin platforms with this. What is our position towards this?

I’m not very interested in Swift - Objective-C++ (with C++14/17) seems a better choice for anything that I want to do - but I’m happy to help anyone who wants to hack on Swift with regards to the runtime details.

Re: GNUstep and Swift

Gregory Casamento
I think this is a great thing.  It will allow swift apps for Cocoa to be supported on GNUstep.

GC

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:43 David Chisnall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 Nov 2017, at 16:37, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> anybody here noticed: https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/12702 ?
>
> Apparently Swift is getting support for ObjC on non Darwin platforms with this. What is our position towards this?

I’m not very interested in Swift - Objective-C++ (with C++14/17) seems a better choice for anything that I want to do - but I’m happy to help anyone who wants to hack on Swift with regards to the runtime details.

Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: GNUstep and Swift

Gregory Casamento
I believe our position should be that we would like to help them integrate with GNUstep in any way we can.   Swift apps on non-Darwin platforms is a good thing.

GC

--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: GNUstep and Swift

Ivan Vučica-2
Do we want to chime in on a relevant bug / PR? Any downsides?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:11 AM, Gregory Casamento
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe our position should be that we would like to help them integrate
> with GNUstep in any way we can.   Swift apps on non-Darwin platforms is a
> good thing.
>
> GC
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 15:03 Gregory Casamento <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think this is a great thing.  It will allow swift apps for Cocoa to be
>> supported on GNUstep.
>>
>> GC
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:43 David Chisnall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I’m not very interested in Swift - Objective-C++ (with C++14/17) seems a
>>> better choice for anything that I want to do - but I’m happy to help anyone
>>> who wants to hack on Swift with regards to the runtime details.
>>>
>>> David

>> --
>> Gregory Casamento
>> GNUstep Lead Developer / OLC, Principal Consultant
>> http://www.gnustep.org - http://heronsperch.blogspot.com
>> http://ind.ie/phoenix/
>
> --
> Gregory Casamento
> GNUstep Lead Developer / OLC, Principal Consultant
> http://www.gnustep.org - http://heronsperch.blogspot.com
> http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: GNUstep and Swift

David Chisnall
On 16 Nov 2017, at 12:43, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do we want to chime in on a relevant bug / PR? Any downsides?

I have done.  I’m happy to help anyone who wants to do a Swift port with the GNUstep runtime side - it looks as if it shouldn’t be too difficult from what they’ve said in the PR, it just needs someone with more free time than me.

Re: GNUstep and Swift

Ivan Vučica-2
Right, I didn't re-read the PR before replying.