Gna changeover

Gregory Casamento
As you guys know gna is now shutdown.   I have been working on transitioning us to git on another server.   I've been slowed down a bit by illness (I've been sick for the last few weeks).

I have been rsync'ing to my local machine and, of course, mirroring to github.

I am trying to restore services by this weekend so we can all continue work.

Thanks. GC.
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: Gna changeover

Ivan Vučica-2
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Gregory Casamento
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you guys know gna is now shutdown.   I have been working on transitioning
> us to git on another server.   I've been slowed down a bit by illness (I've
> been sick for the last few weeks).
>
> I have been rsync'ing to my local machine and, of course, mirroring to
> github.
>
> I am trying to restore services by this weekend so we can all continue work.
>
> Thanks. GC.

To add:

- If you need access to the code, for now please use the Git
repositories available on Github.

- Please store your commits separately and expect to apply them
separately later. Pull requests will not be helpful at this time.

- As the conversion will involve correcting the author usernames to be
up to spec, and as the conversion will include the remainder of the
branches and tags, the COMMIT HASHES WILL CHANGE. Linking existing
mirror's commit hashes to the newly converted Git hashes will be done
on a best-effort basis.

- Given that Gna has provided an rsyncable Subversion repository, the
latest fetch of this we can get will be used to generate the Git
repositories. As this was previously public information, it will
either be available on request, or it will be simply made available
for download as a tarball.

- Probability of spinning up a replacement read-write Subversion-based
repository is super low, and a last-resort option. It would require
someone to set up and secure a Subversion repository.

- Gitlab or another libre equivalent will be spun up at the earliest
convenience and serve as the web frontend once we are ready to go. For
starters, we'll be happy if we can provide usable repositories on
Github.

- Repositories will continue to be available on Github once we have
set up the primary hosting frontends, but as official mirrors.

We don't have a timeframe on bringing the service up. Please bear with
us. I was going to send this email on Friday, when it looked like
we'll sort this out during the weekend, but that is no longer the
case.

Re: Gna changeover

David Chisnall
On 28 May 2017, at 22:57, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - As the conversion will involve correcting the author usernames to be
> up to spec, and as the conversion will include the remainder of the
> branches and tags, the COMMIT HASHES WILL CHANGE. Linking existing
> mirror's commit hashes to the newly converted Git hashes will be done
> on a best-effort basis.

Is it possible to use git-imerge’s rebase-with-history to address this?  There are a number of forks of the GitHub GNUstep repos and it would be a shame to break all of them.  The old email addresses have been public in the github mirror for a long time, so it’s not really a privacy issue to keep them for a while.

Re: Gna changeover

Ivan Vučica-2

On Mon 29 May 2017 at 07:59, David Chisnall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28 May 2017, at 22:57, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - As the conversion will involve correcting the author usernames to be
> up to spec, and as the conversion will include the remainder of the
> branches and tags, the COMMIT HASHES WILL CHANGE. Linking existing
> mirror's commit hashes to the newly converted Git hashes will be done
> on a best-effort basis.

Is it possible to use git-imerge’s rebase-with-history to address this?  There are a number of forks of the GitHub GNUstep repos and it would be a shame to break all of them.  The old email addresses have been public in the github mirror for a long time, so it’s not really a privacy issue to keep them for a while.

I was going to write a tool to create git replace refs or grafts based on commit descriptions. If there is an easier way to do this, I'm all for it :)

When it comes to email addresses, they are mostly collected from the change log file so I don't see this as a privacy issue. They have not otherwise really been on GitHub in the commit headers.

Sent from Gmail Mobile on iPad

Re: Gna changeover

David Ayers-2
Hello Folks!

is there an ETA when the repository will be available?
can we expect the historical release tags?

From what I can see:
https://github.com/gnustep/base
does not contain any release tags.

https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustep/

We generally deploy by checking out the upstream sources and we a
currently assessing whether it is worthwhile to setup our own repo or
import with the versions we need into our project's VCS, so that we can
continue deploying.

David Ayers - Team Austria
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []          (http://www.fsfe.org)
Join the Fellowship of FSFE!         [][][]      (https://fsfe.org/join)
Your donation powers our work!         ||       (http://fsfe.org/donate)

Re: Gna changeover

Ivan Vučica-2

On May 31, 2017 1:05:08 PM GMT+02:00, David Ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello Folks!
>
>is there an ETA when the repository will be available?

Hard to estimate.

The only Gna.org admin whose contact I was able to found took a while to respond, and unhelpfully stated that he has no access to the old content. Further inquiry about whom to reach out to resulted in no response after several days.

Gregory has the latest backup, but due to some emergencies has not been in position to deliver it to me.

Next, there is a copy of most gna.org repos fetched on Feb25 published on archive.org. I have obtained that, and as a last resort we can recover history by applying patches from gnustep-cvs.

Given I'm traveling until Sunday with almost no connectivity (or dedicated hacking time), this is all going to be blocked till next week. I would say earliest read-only copy of Subversion should be expected Monday if I receive the latest backup, and resumption of services on top of Git should be mid-to-late next week.

>can we expect the historical release tags?

Yes.

>From what I can see:
>https://github.com/gnustep/base
>does not contain any release tags.

Yes, that is one of the reasons we are re-doing conversion from Subversion. (And existence of these exports is a reason why we are no going to naively overwrite it, but use something like replace refs or grafts.)

The exports as they are now are pretty much backup mirrors, not actual repositories ready to use.

>https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustep/

Unfortunately I cannot open this offline on plane, but I think we were not using Savannah in a while. Maybe these are git repositories which we did not start using yet?

>We generally deploy by checking out the upstream sources and we a
>currently assessing whether it is worthwhile to setup our own repo or
>import with the versions we need into our project's VCS, so that we can
>continue deploying.

If you need a read only copy, please temporarily use Github repositories. You could even continue using Subversion, as Github offers Subversion view of the repositories.

If you need a particular release of a particular library, try figuring out the release hash by blame'ing the Changelog.

If you need a particular branch, unfortunately we are blocked on backup coming my way (and not having connectivity).

We intend to selfhost our Git repositories, with mirrors on sites such as Github, Gitlab, Savannah, etc. This will happen over the next month.

>Thanks,
>David

Re: Gna changeover

Fred Kiefer
Hi Ivan,

> Am 31.05.2017 um 16:54 schrieb Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]>:
>
> Gregory has the latest backup, but due to some emergencies has not been in position to deliver it to me.

due to your bad internet connectivity you must have missed Greg’s mail. He send a link to the file on a Google Drive. That file is 250 MB big and should contain the current GNA content.

Fred

On 1 Jun 2017, at 20:15, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

I composed the email yesterday on the plane, which conveniently demonstrate​s how frequently I am online ;)

And even that email went out today, instead of yesterday :)

On June 1, 2017 10:00:06 PM GMT+02:00, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ivan,

Am 31.05.2017 um 16:54 schrieb Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]>:

Gregory has the latest backup, but due to some emergencies has not been in position to deliver it to me.

due to your bad internet connectivity you must have missed Greg’s mail. He send a link to the file on a Google Drive. That file is 250 MB big and should contain the current GNA content.

Fred

I’ve managed to fetch this file directly onto a GCE instance, and thus the temporary readonly copy of Subversion is available at:

Clearly this is not browsable in the browser, but if someone urgently needs branches or tags of various libraries, this can serve. No guarantees on uptime though, this is a hacked together hosting.

Similarly, no-guarantees for uptime on the URL to download the latest rsync’ed backup which I got from Gregory:

As previously mentioned, I’m looking forward to tackling the conversion (including creation of git replace refs or similar mechanism to preserve connection with the old mirror’s commit hashes) after I return from the trip, by mid-to-late next week.

Re: Gna changeover

David Ayers-2
Dear Ivan!

Am Freitag, den 02.06.2017, 13:08 +0000 schrieb Ivan Vučica

> I’ve managed to fetch this file directly onto a GCE instance, and thus
> the temporary readonly copy of Subversion is available at:
>

>   svn://vcs.gs.badc0de.net/gnustep
>

> Clearly this is not browsable in the browser, but if someone urgently
> needs branches or tags of various libraries, this can serve. No
> guarantees on uptime though, this is a hacked together hosting.
This is very much appreciated! Thank you!  I was still trying to figure
out how to peace together what we need from the github checkout...

I wish you the best of luck for the conversion!

Cheers and thank you again!