[INFO] NEXTSPACE

123

[INFO] NEXTSPACE

Sergii Stoian

Hi,

More than 15 years ago I joined the GNUstep development because I like NeXT's OS design, look and feel. At that time my dream was to return NeXTSTEP desktop to Linux. After 15+ years my dream still alive. I understand that GNUstep project goals somewhat changed over these years. And this is good until project is interesting to broad kind (goals, tastes) of people involved in it's development.

Finally I've decided to inform dear community about my project of last 2+ years.
I've named is NEXTSPACE. It is SPACE for NeXT applications.
You can find code and brief description of project here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace.
It is not finished yet. However I use it as my desktop environment on daily basis.
You can find RPMs in Packages directory:
* libdispatch and libobjc2
* nextspace-core - system specific files: skeleton for user home firectory, shell profile, udev, polkit, etc.
* nextspace-gnustep - GNUstep libraries with my patches.
The next step is to build Frameworks, then Appplications. You can create new user with all needed files inside it's home dir. You can start Login with command 'systemctl start loginwindow' or login to newly created user from your login application (it should start ~/.xinitrc in user home dir). That's it.

Some noticeable achievements I've got:
* I integrated Workspace and WindowMaker into Workspace Manager. That's it - one application. It was made possible by using libdispatch and libobjc2. For example, when non-GNUstep application starts Workspace's Processess panel shows it with info grabbed from WindowMaker. Another example: when you start application by double-clicking in File Viewer and appicon already exists in Dock icon fly from FileViewer's to docked appicon.
* In general Workspace is ready to be NSWorkspace povider.
* GNUstep and WindowMaker unified look and feel (menus and titlebars, fonts, miniwindows).
* Media management: Workpace automatically mounts removable media inserted (UDisks integration).
* Terminal: a lot of improvements. It's better to see it.
* -NXAutoLaunch option implemented. Now applications started with this option doesn't show menu at all. No focus flickering. Smooth as it should be.
* Preferences: everything you need to set up must be here. Not only GNUstep NSGlobalDomain options (localization, fonts) but system specific options also (display, keyboard, mouse, sound, networking).
* A lot of other things I can't recall now but I write it down someday. ;)

There are some facts I don't like and want to change:
* NEXTSPACE is based on quite outdated release of GNUstep (base 1.24.8, gui and back 0.24.1);
* It is based on ART backend. I want to use Cairo backend but ART has usefull features (.nfont packages provide ability to set hinting and antialiasing options on per font basis).
* DE needs documentation. I plan to discuss NSHelpPanel implementation with you guys. First of all we need to define format for help files.
* It is developed and tested on CentOS 7. I have no plans in near future to port it somewhere else. I need to finish what I've started first.

PS: My apologies to community for being off the track so long. Now you know why.
My current strategy is the following:
1. Finish NEXTSPACE to be feature rich, stable and fast. I guess this step will be done until next summer.
2. Return to development of ProjectCenter. First of all PC badly needs good editor, then GORM interoperation and next debugger.
I hope my work will be useful not only for me but for GNUstep project also.

--
Sergii Stoian, ProjectCenter maintainer

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Liam Proven
On 25 November 2017 at 23:35, Sergii Stoian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally I've decided to inform dear community about my project of last 2+
> years.
> I've named is NEXTSPACE. It is SPACE for NeXT applications.
> You can find code and brief description of project here
> https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace.

This looks _very_ impressive and exactly the sort of thing I feel that
GNUstep needs. I am very impressed. Your work looks amazing.

When and how might it be downloaded?

How would you feel about your desktop etc. being repackaged for a
different distro, such as OpenSUSE?

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Gregory Casamento
Hey Sergii,

I think this is awesome.  I can’t wair to try it out!

GC

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 17:35 Sergii Stoian <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://ind.ie/phoenix/

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Graham Lee-3
Hi Sergii,

this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace with the window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having GWorkspace and WindowMaker each produce their own desktop background window and their own Dock made them less useful. Thank you!

Graham.

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Hi Sergii,

More than 15 years ago I joined the GNUstep development because I like NeXT's OS design, look and feel. At that time my dream was to return NeXTSTEP desktop to Linux. After 15+ years my dream still alive. I understand that GNUstep project goals somewhat changed over these years. And this is good until project is interesting to broad kind (goals, tastes) of people involved in it's development.

Exactly... actually I think "the goal" didn't change for everybody, just for some and we have many dreams, but the core still sticks together!

[...]

This sounds great and the screenshots look promising

There are some facts I don't like and want to change:
* NEXTSPACE is based on quite outdated release of GNUstep (base 1.24.8, gui and back 0.24.1);
* It is based on ART backend. I want to use Cairo backend but ART has usefull features (.nfont packages provide ability to set hinting and antialiasing options on per font basis).

I understand that! ART continues to be intriguing and it still works after many years, it is fast, fotns look better and the possibility of using non-antialiased fonts is just great. They look far better in Terminal, Code-Editors and for my test also Menus.

* DE needs documentation. I plan to discuss NSHelpPanel implementation with you guys. First of all we need to define format for help files.

Indeed, this is a cross-GNUstep issue. We don't have documentation and the HelpViewer app we had long time ago disappeared into void.
One solution would be to revive it and to use RTF: this would be cool because you can read and write it with GNUstep tools and it would be low-resource.
ANother would be to go more apple-like and use HTML, but you need an external editor and also no native viewer for GNUstep. Maybe in the future pull in the monstrum of WebKit or it could use SWK if it were a little more complete. It is capable enough to "almost" display our GNUstep reference libraries, except for a couple of issues. Might be worth it.
A discussion worth of a separate thread.

* It is developed and tested on CentOS 7. I have no plans in near future to port it somewhere else. I need to finish what I've started first.

Understandable, also your solution looks quite linux tied and depends on a couple of nasty things, but nevertheless very interesting for a lot of people.
Clean up headers, copyrights and such. This is very important if you want your application to be ever packaged in a distribution.

2. Return to development of ProjectCenter. First of all PC badly needs good editor, then GORM interoperation and next debugger.

I took over maintainership of ProjectCenter after your leave. I stabilized the application quite a bit, but not totally.
With hard work I fixed crashers in the editor and improved the class and syntax parsers. With Gregory we started a debugger, the first iteration was simple and not portable, the second (not yet released, it is in GIT) is interesting, but hard to complete and work halted a bit because of these issues.
If you wish we can sync on that if you are interested.

I hope my work will be useful not only for me but for GNUstep project also.

A good application is useful for everybody and attracts interest. Maybe some of your improvements can also directly go into the application you started from?
E.g. I think we should also have an exchange on Terminal, because I put quite some work there. I took over a couple of years ago.

Happy Coding,

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Matt Rice-2
Cool project, was curious if you had/were planning on implementing the
right click behavior where
instead of bringing up the windowmaker vertical menu, right click on
the root window brings up the
main menu of the currently active application.  Given the
workspace/shelf the windowmaker menu
seems a bit superfluous

I had a fork of aewm with click to focus + this, let me know if you
would like me to try and find it.
though I seem to recall everything including gnustep would pretty much
freak out when they receive
events that are outside of any window,
Anyhow let me know, perhaps it is less entrenched than trying to
experiment with such things in windowmaker (or maybe not).

On 26 November 2017 at 11:50, Matt Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool project, was curious if you had/were planning on implementing the
> right click behavior where
> instead of bringing up the windowmaker vertical menu, right click on
> the root window brings up the
> main menu of the currently active application.  Given the
> workspace/shelf the windowmaker menu
> seems a bit superfluous

Please bottom-post on mailing lists.

I have done a little experimenting with this on people, both with RISC
OS -- https://www.riscosopen.org/content/ -- which always and only
works this way, and with the ROX desktop --
http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/.

I find it _really_ confuses people who come from more mainstream
desktops with permanently-visible menus: both the Windows and Mac
families.

Whereas I like it, I think GNUstep should stick to the NeXT model for
now. It is part of what makes it distinctive.

However, a more conventional & widely-available menu-accelerator key
would be a good thing. Either the PC-style Alt for menus, Ctrl for
actions (e.g. Alt-F for File, Ctrl-O for open) or a Mac-style Super
key (Super-O = open, Super-X = cut, etc.)

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Matt Rice-2
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:40 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 November 2017 at 11:50, Matt Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cool project, was curious if you had/were planning on implementing the
>> right click behavior where
>> instead of bringing up the windowmaker vertical menu, right click on
>> the root window brings up the
>> main menu of the currently active application.  Given the
>> workspace/shelf the windowmaker menu
>> seems a bit superfluous
>
> Please bottom-post on mailing lists.

Sure, usually do since everyone else was top-posting though :D

> I have done a little experimenting with this on people, both with RISC
> OS -- https://www.riscosopen.org/content/ -- which always and only
> works this way, and with the ROX desktop --
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/.
>
> I find it _really_ confuses people who come from more mainstream
> desktops with permanently-visible menus: both the Windows and Mac
> families.

On NeXT it had to be enabled in preferences IIRC, by default the mouse
had 2 buttons,
but both performed the same function, and there was a preference for
enabling the 2nd mouse button.

> Whereas I like it, I think GNUstep should stick to the NeXT model for
> now. It is part of what makes it distinctive.

I agree.

> However, a more conventional & widely-available menu-accelerator key
> would be a good thing. Either the PC-style Alt for menus, Ctrl for
> actions (e.g. Alt-F for File, Ctrl-O for open) or a Mac-style Super
> key (Super-O = open, Super-X = cut, etc.)
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Bertrand Dekoninck

Le 26/11/2017 à 09:27, Graham Lee a écrit :
> Hi Sergii,
>
> this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace with the
> window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having GWorkspace and
> WindowMaker each produce their own desktop background window and their
> own Dock made them less useful. Thank you!
I don't think it's GWorkspace but a brand new app called Workspace as in
Nextstep.
  That's a choice but I think that this can of integration would be
valuable for GWorkspace also. In fact, one thing that I lack, is the
ability of GNUstep to integrate non gnustep apps : to give them an app
icon who could be handled by GWorkspace or any other NSWorkspace app, to
give them a global menu as any other GNUstep app, etc. One can even
imagine that GNUstep could give them window decoration and handle the
window management.

For now, GWorkspace uses app wrappers and they are clearly lacking this
kind of features.

Bertrand

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Bertrand Dekoninck

Le 25/11/2017 à 23:35, Sergii Stoian a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> More than 15 years ago I joined the GNUstep development because I like
> NeXT's OS design, look and feel. At that time my dream was to return
> NeXTSTEP desktop to Linux. After 15+ years my dream still alive. I
> understand that GNUstep project goals somewhat changed over these
> years. And this is good until project is interesting to broad kind
> (goals, tastes) of people involved in it's development.
>
> Finally I've decided to inform dear community about my project of last
> 2+ years.
> I've named is NEXTSPACE. It is SPACE for NeXT applications.
> You can find code and brief description of project here
> https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace
> <https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace>.
> It is not finished yet. However I use it as my desktop environment on
> daily basis.
> You can find RPMs in Packages directory:
> * libdispatch and libobjc2
> * nextspace-core - system specific files: skeleton for user home
> firectory, shell profile, udev, polkit, etc.
> * nextspace-gnustep - GNUstep libraries with my patches.

Hi, I've set up a Centos virtual machine in VirtualBox to test this. As
a long time debian user, I'm a little lost in it, even if my first steps
in Linux where in LinuxPPC (LinuxPPC-2000 !), Yellowdog and then
MandrakePPC. But it runs now.

I've installed your RPMs, with the hope to have a Nextspace session to
launch. I understand know that I can't, because Workspace isn't
packaged. I'm eager to try it.

But for now, I tried to launch Gorm which is in the
/Developper/Applications. But it fails to run, complaining about missing
gnuustep-back.  Should I specify a special name for back using the
defaults command ?

> The next step is to build Frameworks, then Appplications. You can
> create new user with all needed files inside it's home dir. You can
> start Login with command 'systemctl start loginwindow' or login to
> newly created user from your login application (it should start
> ~/.xinitrc in user home dir). That's it.

You mean that, with your rpms installed, i f I build Frameworks,
Workspace and Login; then any newly created user will have the needed
files and that I will be able to launch Login.app ?

Thanks for this tremendous amount of work.

Bertrand Dekoninck

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Bertrand Dekoninck

Le 26/11/2017 à 18:50, Bertrand Gmail a écrit :

> But for now, I tried to launch Gorm which is in the
> /Developper/Applications. But it fails to run, complaining about
> missing gnuustep-back.  Should I specify a special name for back using
> the  defaults command ?

Oups I figured it out by myself : defaulst wrrite NSGlobalDomain
GSBackend libgnustep-art

But now, Gorm complains with : "No fonts found".  I should install
NFonts but I don't have any and don't find the old mknfont on the web
any more.

Bertrand

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Sergii Stoian
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 November 2017 at 23:35, Sergii Stoian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally I've decided to inform dear community about my project of last 2+
> years.
> I've named is NEXTSPACE. It is SPACE for NeXT applications.
> You can find code and brief description of project here
> https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace.

This looks _very_ impressive and exactly the sort of thing I feel that
GNUstep needs. I am very impressed. Your work looks amazing.

I'm glad you like it. :)
When and how might it be downloaded?

There are RPMs for CentOS 7 on github inside Packages directory for base parts.
Frameworks and Applications in active development right now. You should build them manually.
So you should install clang-3.8, all packages including -devel (no need to install -debuginfo) and build Frameworks (make;make install) and Applications after that. Package dependecies you need to install are listed inside .spec files in Frameworks and Applications directories (BuildRequires and Requires).
I've uploaded correct versions of clang and llvm on github because CentOS stock versions are quite old.

How would you feel about your desktop etc. being repackaged for a
different distro, such as OpenSUSE?

It's great if you (or someone else) will manage to build it on OpenSUSE.

UK: <a href="tel:%2B44%207939-087884" value="+447939087884">+44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: <a href="tel:%2B420%20702%20829%20053" value="+420702829053">+420 702 829 053

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 4:31 AM, Gregory Casamento <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Sergii,

I think this is awesome.  I can’t wair to try it out!

I hope you will not be disappointed. :)

[...]

Hi Graham,
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Graham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sergii,

this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace with the window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having GWorkspace and WindowMaker each produce their own desktop background window and their own Dock made them less useful. Thank you!

Actually, there is no GWorkspace inside my code. I looked into GWorkspace code after I've got positive results coupling of Workspace (it was almost skeleton for Workspace from Saso Ksielkov's OpenSpace project) with WindowMaker. I found GWorkspace code more mature and interesting than mine, but I've decide to go further with my code. So Workspace in NEXTSPACE has no connection to GWorkspace.

Graham.

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Sergii Stoian

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sergii,

More than 15 years ago I joined the GNUstep development because I like NeXT's OS design, look and feel. At that time my dream was to return NeXTSTEP desktop to Linux. After 15+ years my dream still alive. I understand that GNUstep project goals somewhat changed over these years. And this is good until project is interesting to broad kind (goals, tastes) of people involved in it's development.

Exactly... actually I think "the goal" didn't change for everybody, just for some and we have many dreams, but the core still sticks together!
Yes, but many people nowadays found NeXT look outdated, boring, etc. To be honest, I've started NEXTSPACE to create desktop environment that will be pleasant and useful for me. ;)

[...]

Thank you. More to come.

There are some facts I don't like and want to change:
* NEXTSPACE is based on quite outdated release of GNUstep (base 1.24.8, gui and back 0.24.1);
* It is based on ART backend. I want to use Cairo backend but ART has usefull features (.nfont packages provide ability to set hinting and antialiasing options on per font basis).

I understand that! ART continues to be intriguing and it still works after many years, it is fast, fotns look better and the possibility of using non-antialiased fonts is just great. They look far better in Terminal, Code-Editors and for my test also Menus.

Yes! That's it! I think ART and Cairo backends need to be merged with the best features of both. However I'll not plan to do this in near future.

* DE needs documentation. I plan to discuss NSHelpPanel implementation with you guys. First of all we need to define format for help files.

Indeed, this is a cross-GNUstep issue. We don't have documentation and the HelpViewer app we had long time ago disappeared into void.
One solution would be to revive it and to use RTF: this would be cool because you can read and write it with GNUstep tools and it would be low-resource.
ANother would be to go more apple-like and use HTML, but you need an external editor and also no native viewer for GNUstep. Maybe in the future pull in the monstrum of WebKit or it could use SWK if it were a little more complete. It is capable enough to "almost" display our GNUstep reference libraries, except for a couple of issues. Might be worth it.
A discussion worth of a separate thread.

Agree.

* It is developed and tested on CentOS 7. I have no plans in near future to port it somewhere else. I need to finish what I've started first.

Understandable, also your solution looks quite linux tied and depends on a couple of nasty things, but nevertheless very interesting for a lot of people.
Clean up headers, copyrights and such. This is very important if you want your application to be ever packaged in a distribution.

The project was started on FreeBSD. It is quite good OS. But it has to many drawbacks to use it as base OS for desktop. I had no plans to develop OS-level features.

2. Return to development of ProjectCenter. First of all PC badly needs good editor, then GORM interoperation and next debugger.

I took over maintainership of ProjectCenter after your leave. I stabilized the application quite a bit, but not totally.
With hard work I fixed crashers in the editor and improved the class and syntax parsers. With Gregory we started a debugger, the first iteration was simple and not portable, the second (not yet released, it is in GIT) is interesting, but hard to complete and work halted a bit because of these issues.
If you wish we can sync on that if you are interested.

I read announcements and read bug reports and your replies. Thank you, Ricardo, very much.

I hope my work will be useful not only for me but for GNUstep project also.

A good application is useful for everybody and attracts interest. Maybe some of your improvements can also directly go into the application you started from?
E.g. I think we should also have an exchange on Terminal, because I put quite some work there. I took over a couple of years ago.

If you want you can grab the whole Terminal from NEXTSPACE and use it as you wish.
There are couple of places where NXAppKit (mainly it's alert panel I've played with)  but you can find and modify them quite easy.
Or maybe you talk about some enhancements that you want to go inside NEXTSPACE? I'll be glad to discuss it with you. But you'd try my version of Terminal first.

Happy Coding,

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Bertrand Gmail <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 26/11/2017 à 18:50, Bertrand Gmail a écrit :

But for now, I tried to launch Gorm which is in the /Developper/Applications. But it fails to run, complaining about missing gnuustep-back.  Should I specify a special name for back using the  defaults command ?

Oups I figured it out by myself : defaulst wrrite NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-art

Yes you're right. I've built backend with name 'art'. Newly created users get correct defaults (/etc/skel/Library/Preferences/NSGlobalDomain).
And this is also true for 'root' user. nextspace-core package installs NSGlobalDomain into /root/Library/Preferences. It's essential to get Login.app working.
But now, Gorm complains with : "No fonts found".  I should install NFonts but I don't have any and don't find the old mknfont on the web any more.

Fonts are located inside NXAppKit framework. Build it or copy into /Library/Fonts.

Bertrand

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Matt Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool project, was curious if you had/were planning on implementing the
right click behavior where
instead of bringing up the windowmaker vertical menu, right click on
the root window brings up the
main menu of the currently active application.  Given the
workspace/shelf the windowmaker menu
seems a bit superfluous
Yes, something like what you've described. I want to get rid of WindowMaker's menus and panels as much as I it's possible to leave essential functionality.
To reach this goal I need to implement Dock settings in Workspace preferences and Preferences where it will be appropriate.

I had a fork of aewm with click to focus + this, let me know if you
would like me to try and find it.
though I seem to recall everything including gnustep would pretty much
freak out when they receive
events that are outside of any window,
Anyhow let me know, perhaps it is less entrenched than trying to
experiment with such things in windowmaker (or maybe not).
Actually it's quite simple to switch off root menu and show Workspace's menu. It's possible because WindowMaker is just another thread of Workspace application.
I've never thought or try to show active application's menu with right-clicking on desktop. Is it intuitive or comfortable from user experience point of view? Current design of GNUstep applications let user bring app menu by right-clicking inside any of the app's windows. I think it's quite logical to bring Workspace app menu right-clicking on desktop background (anyway it's managed by Workspace). What do you think?

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Bertrand Gmail <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 26/11/2017 à 09:27, Graham Lee a écrit :
Hi Sergii,

this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace with the window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having GWorkspace and WindowMaker each produce their own desktop background window and their own Dock made them less useful. Thank you!
I don't think it's GWorkspace but a brand new app called Workspace as in Nextstep.
 That's a choice but I think that this can of integration would be valuable for GWorkspace also. In fact, one thing that I lack, is the ability of GNUstep to integrate non gnustep apps : to give them an app icon who could be handled by GWorkspace or any other NSWorkspace app, to give them a global menu as any other GNUstep app, etc. One can even imagine that GNUstep could give them window decoration and handle the window management.

I've already thought about that style of grabbing non-GNUstep application's menu and show it as GNUstep one like Ubuntu's Unity does it. They call it global menu, right? I need some research in that field. I think I can look into it after 1.0 release of NEXTSPACE. Anyway it's a good idea for TODO list of project.
For now, GWorkspace uses app wrappers and they are clearly lacking this kind of features.

App wrappers is not GWorkspace only solution. It is OpenStep application bundles style. It is possible to read and parse /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files. But there is the desktop design question: where do we place GNOME, GTK, KDE, Qt applications found? I doesn't have answer right now.
Bertrand

Sergii Stoian, ProjectCenter maintainer

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

Xavier Brochard
Le dimanche 26 novembre 2017, 00:35:11 CET Sergii Stoian a écrit :
> Finally I've decided to inform dear community about my project of last 2+
> years. I've named is NEXTSPACE. It is SPACE for NeXT applications.

Fantastic. Exactly what I need !

Xavier

Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

David Chisnall

This looks very nice, but a few comments:

- Apple still owns the NeXT trademark, so be careful about using NEXT in the name.

- NeXT used the NX prefix (NS = NeXT + Sun, NX = NeXT), so using it as your prefix is confusing.

- Please don’t put big RPMs in the repo!  It adds overhead to anyone who clones it, and GitHub has a perfectly adequate Downloads facility for hosting these.

- It would be easier to package (and to collaborate) if these were separate GitHub repos.

David