Installing GNUstep

Simon Gornall
So, I have a fresh new Centos 7 system, and I’m looking at the best way to install GNUstep. There’s a lot of information out there, but I’m not sure what the “best practices” way to do it is, to get a modern libObjc2 runtime, and compiling with clang.

Is there a definitive site with instructions for this ? There used to be rpm files to install everything but those seem to have been linked to an older, and now non-supported linux version.

Thanks for any advice :)

Simon

Re: Installing GNUstep

edwin ancaer
Hello Simon,

I'm not the expert at it, but I used the instructions at http://etoileos.com/downloads/installtrunk/, and they worked for me.

Of course, I have my own agenda mentioning Etoile here: they have this thing called
Pragmatic Smalltalk, and I would like to see at least some more examples of how to build applications with it. Maybe they notice this 😙?

But as I said, I think their build instructions will give you what you need.

Kind regards,

So, I have a fresh new Centos 7 system, and I’m looking at the best way to install GNUstep. There’s a lot of information out there, but I’m not sure what the “best practices” way to do it is, to get a modern libObjc2 runtime, and compiling with clang.

Is there a definitive site with instructions for this ? There used to be rpm files to install everything but those seem to have been linked to an older, and now non-supported linux version.

Thanks for any advice :)

Simon

Pragmatic Smalltalk [Re: Installing GNUstep]

David Chisnall
Hi Edwin,

> On 2 Dec 2016, at 04:48, Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Of course, I have my own agenda mentioning Etoile here: they have this thing called
> Pragmatic Smalltalk, and I would like to see at least some more examples of how to build applications with it. Maybe they notice this 😙?

I’m the author of this code, and I’m sad to say that it’s somewhat bit-rotted.  The LanguageKit framework that it uses for code generation is quite a few revisions behind LLVM trunk and the LLVM APIs have changed considerably in that time.  I haven’t yet had a chance to update it and it’s not very high up my to-do list at the moment.  I’d be happy to help out anyone who wanted to work on this infrastructure though...

Re: Installing GNUstep

Matt Butch
You could modify the script here for CentOS:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux

If you do that, we should add a new page for CentOS. Which either you can do if you are up to it, or you can send it my way and I’ll take care of it.

-Matt

> On Dec 1, 2016, at 18:00, Simon Gornall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I have a fresh new Centos 7 system, and I’m looking at the best way to install GNUstep. There’s a lot of information out there, but I’m not sure what the “best practices” way to do it is, to get a modern libObjc2 runtime, and compiling with clang.
>
> Is there a definitive site with instructions for this ? There used to be rpm files to install everything but those seem to have been linked to an older, and now non-supported linux version.
>
> Thanks for any advice :)
>
> Simon

Re: Installing GNUstep

Simon Gornall-2

On Dec 2, 2016, at 8:28 AM, Matt Butch <[hidden email]> wrote:

You could modify the script here for CentOS:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux

If you do that, we should add a new page for CentOS. Which either you can do if you are up to it, or you can send it my way and I’ll take care of it.

So I tried to do this, but ran into trouble with cmake requiring kqueue’s, which Centos doesn’t seem to support

Building libdispatch
Invoking CMake:
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release '-GUnix Makefiles' -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ -DDISPATCH_ENABLE_TEST_SUITE=0 -DDISPATCH_SANITIZE= --no-warn-unused-cli --warn-uninitialized -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS=ON
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find kqueue (missing: KQUEUE_INCLUDE_DIRS)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake3/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/Findkqueue.cmake:20 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:62 (find_package)

On Dec 1, 2016, at 8:48 PM, Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Simon,

I'm not the expert at it, but I used the instructions at http://etoileos.com/downloads/installtrunk/, and they worked for me.

Of course, I have my own agenda mentioning Etoile here: they have this thing called
Pragmatic Smalltalk, and I would like to see at least some more examples of how to build applications with it. Maybe they notice this 😙?

But as I said, I think their build instructions will give you what you need.

I tried this also, but the instructions there are a bit out of date. Again with the dreaded cmake requirement (to compile clang), and again I couldn’t get it to work, but that’s probably because I was forced too far off the beaten path by cmake.

Given the existence of the script mentioned above, it may be easier to install Ubuntu into a VM and go from there :)

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Simon

Re: Installing GNUstep

Simon Gornall
Well, installing Ubuntu and running the script was painless - it all seems to work (I launched Gorm to check) so I’m probably good now, thanks :)

Cheers
        Simon