Installing gnustep from version control sources

Installing gnustep from version control sources

Michele Bert
Hello
I would like to install gnustep on an old Apple iBook with Lubuntu
14.04 PowerPC, compiling it from sources taken from VCS, but I can not
find any updated guide to follow.

I found on the wiki [1] and [2], but the SVN address indicated is wrong.

Eventually I found the gnustep github page [3], but it left me a bit
confused. I remembered as the correct order of packages to install
was: -make, -base, -gui, -back.

Now, is tools-make a new name for gnuste-make? Is it to be installed for first?
Second: should I compile and install libobjc2 from that github before
-make? (thats what I actually tried to do).

Last but not least: trying to compile libobjc2, I realize that it
require a version of cmake newer than the one provided by my linux
distribution. Are there any workaround, or alternative way to compile?

Thanks,

[1] http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Using_Subversion
[2]http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_SVN_Installation_Guide
[3] https://github.com/gnustep
--
Mick

Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources

Liam Proven
On 13 April 2018 at 15:19, Mick Bert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
> I would like to install gnustep on an old Apple iBook with Lubuntu
> 14.04 PowerPC

16.04 also exists for PowerPC. I think you will have more luck with
the newer release.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources

Bertrand Dekoninck

Le 13/04/2018 à 15:49, Liam Proven a écrit :
> On 13 April 2018 at 15:19, Mick Bert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello
>> I would like to install gnustep on an old Apple iBook with Lubuntu
>> 14.04 PowerPC
> 16.04 also exists for PowerPC. I think you will have more luck with
> the newer release.

The matter on ppc is that libobjc2 cannot be used with clang for now
(see https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/issues/65)
I didn't try to build it with gcc.

So you should build gnustep with gcc, without libobjc2. It should run on
any ppc distro (I use it on a daily basis on debian wheezy which is a
older). Building should be straigthforward.

You'll have to clone git repos :
git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-make
git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-base
git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui
git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-back

Then build and install in that order :
1. Build and install gnustep-make without any objc2 related option at
configure time
2. locate GNUstep.sh and source it
3. Run "make" in  base and install it with "sudo -E make install"
4. Do the same for gui and back

  gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, gnustep-back.

Hope this helps.
Bertrand

Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources

Michele Bert
> On 13 April 2018 at 15:19, Mick Bert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello
>> I would like to install gnustep on an old Apple iBook with Lubuntu
>> 14.04 PowerPC
>
> 16.04 also exists for PowerPC. I think you will have more luck with
> the newer release.

It was my first choice, but I had big trouble with the graphic card
(freezing after few minutes of up-run). I could try a debian...
--
Mick

Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources

Michele Bert

>> On 13 April 2018 at 15:19, Mick Bert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>> I would like to install gnustep on an old Apple iBook with Lubuntu
>>> 14.04 PowerPC
>>
> The matter on ppc is that libobjc2 cannot be used with clang for now (see
> https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/issues/65)
> I didn't try to build it with gcc.
The issue I have is different: it looks the assembler does not
recognise the assembly generated files

> So you should build gnustep with gcc, without libobjc2. It should run on any
> ppc distro (I use it on a daily basis on debian wheezy which is a older).
> Building should be straigthforward.
>
> You'll have to clone git repos :
> git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-make
> git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-base
> git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui
> git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-back

Done it, thanks.
But it would be great to have an up-to-date guide reachable from the
web-site, don't you agree?

Le lundi 16 avril 2018 à 08:41 +0200, Mick Bert a écrit :

> > The matter on ppc is that libobjc2 cannot be used with clang for now (see
> > https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/issues/65)
> > I didn't try to build it with gcc.
> The issue I have is different: it looks the assembler does not
> recognise the assembly generated files

I didn't mention it earlier but you'll have to build libojc2 using
"-integrated-as", because "gas" (which is the default) fails on ppc.
I do this before building libobjc2 :

export CC='clang -integrated-as'
export CXX='clang++ -integrated-as'

> > So you should build gnustep with gcc, without libobjc2. It should run on any
> > ppc distro (I use it on a daily basis on debian wheezy which is a older).
> > Building should be straigthforward.
> >
> > You'll have to clone git repos :
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-make
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-base
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-back
> >
> Done it, thanks.
> But it would be great to have an up-to-date guide reachable from the
> web-site, don't you agree?

I do. In fact my plan was to do such a guide for ppc (doesn't exist
yet), but I'm stuck for now because of libobjc2.
Maybe you could help debugging the issue I pointed before for ppc. I
can't.

Moreover, David Chisnall was asking for help to write the missing ppc
assembly files in libobjc2 (this causes some tests no to build), but I
can't help.

Bertrand