Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

Ivan Vučica-2
Daniel's proposal has been accepted into Google Summer of Code.

  https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5083550004019200

Fred and I have registered as mentors.

Congratulations and welcome!

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My name is Daniel Ferreira and I'd like to spend a Google Summer of
> Code implementing the proposal to "port WebKit to GNUstep" (or, most
> likely, a subset of it) as announced on the GNUstep ideas website, and
> try to get the GNUstep browser issue closer to a solution. However,
> aside from this thread
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2007-03/msg00314.html
>
> and this more recent one:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2015-06/msg00108.html
>
> there is almost zero detail implementation-wise of how this goal would
> be attained, and only architectural discussions about how to approach
> the web browser problem. Despite being a little late to the party, I'd
> like some help to be able to craft a decent proposal (or at least
> figure out how to approach the problem).
>
> I spent the last two days setting up a build environment for both
> GNUstep and WebKit, and I hoped I would be able to grasp the dimension
> of the effort by trying to build it with OSX as a target and see how
> many linking errors I got when trying to build it on top of the
> GNUstep libraries. However, it complains about the lack of frameworks
> that I don't believe are even in the GNUstep roadmap (Accelerate,
> AudioToolbox, IOKit), so I think I'm following a wrong approach here.
>
> That said, I'd really appreciate an (updated) explanation of what are
> the current obstacles to getting that port done, or what can I
> do/build to get a better understanding of it :)
>
> Also: despite the extremely short schedule, I'm totally up to writing
> a small patch to GNUstep or something if you'd like some sort of proof
> that I can go around the project.
>
> About me: I'm a Brazilian student and I'll start college at Stanford
> University this fall. I've done system modifications in the iOS
> jailbreaking community ("tweaks") and some apps, and during that time
> I could get some pretty decent experience with Core* Apple APIs
> (although I really look forward to learn more about their internals
> and how they could be implemented) as well as Objective-C. I've also
> written a bunch of C/C++ code for my employer (a payment processing
> company) and some on github.com/theiostream. Again, I'm really
> interesting on how these internals are (or can be) implemented, and
> that's why I got so interested in this project.
>
> (I am sending this e-mail to both the summer-of-code and the
> discuss-gnustep lists separately. I'm sorry if anyone gets this twice,
> but I'm really unsure regarding in what channel this will reach
> someone.)
>
> Thanks, and hoping I can get some answers in time,
> -- Daniel.

Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

David Chisnall
Great!  Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help,

David

> [...]
>> I could get some pretty decent experience with Core* Apple APIs
>> (although I really look forward to learn more about their internals
>> and how they could be implemented) as well as Objective-C. I've also
>> written a bunch of C/C++ code for my employer (a payment processing
>> company) and some on github.com/theiostream. Again, I'm really
>> interesting on how these internals are (or can be) implemented, and
>> that's why I got so interested in this project.
>>
>> (I am sending this e-mail to both the summer-of-code and the
>> discuss-gnustep lists separately. I'm sorry if anyone gets this twice,
>> but I'm really unsure regarding in what channel this will reach
>> someone.)
>>
>> Thanks, and hoping I can get some answers in time,
>> -- Daniel.

Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

Svetlana Tkachenko-3
Hi all,

Glad to see this happening. Congratulations Daniel and big thanks to
Ivan and Fred for willing to mentor. :-)

Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Daniel's proposal has been accepted into Google Summer of Code.
>
>   https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5083550004019200
>
> Fred and I have registered as mentors.

Just wondering, is there a particular reason this is limited to WebKit?
How easy would it be to make this work engine-agnostic (two different
browsers on different engines or one browser with ability to switch the
rendering engine by user preference)?

Svetlana
gry at irc://chat.freenode.net/gnustep

Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

Ivan Vučica-2

Daniel is not working on a browser.

Ivan Vučica wrote:
> Daniel is not working on a browser.

Sorry, the question made no sense. Thanks Ivan

Svetlana
gry, irc://chat.freenode.net/