Running `buildtool` on OSX

Gustavo Tavares
Hello!

So I have a version of `tools-buildtool` on my Mojave Mac.

I was able to build it. On running it though—I got this error:

> buildtool

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _ASSIGN

  Referenced from: /Users/gtk-air/Library/Frameworks/XCode.framework/XCode

  Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _ASSIGN

  Referenced from: /Users/gtk-air/Library/Frameworks/XCode.framework/XCode

  Expected in: flat namespace

Abort trap: 6

Not sure what to do :/

What should I try?

Running `grep -R __ASSIGN .`  shows *.o and *.dylib files so this is a bit above my pay-grade at present.

Thank you,

Gustavo

Re: Running `buildtool` on OSX

Gregory Casamento
Gustavo,

What's the purpose of running it under Cocoa?

The buildtool utility is not meant to run on a mac.  It's purpose is to build xcode projects against GNUstep's libraries without the need for GNUmakefiles on Linux/BSD/Windows etc.  It is a replacement for xcodebuild on other platforms.

Yours, GC

--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron

Re: Running `buildtool` on OSX

Gustavo Tavares
Hi Greg,

I wanted to build on all systems with `ONE TRUE COMMAND`.

Originally I was thinking of maintaining a GNUmakefile for all my projects because in theory it's supposed to work on Cocoa. In the process—I tried to build `buildtool` on the Mac.

Thought it could be a different approach to achieve the `ONE TRUE COMMAND`.

Or at the very least—begin an automatic process of creating GNUmakefile's for my projects from my main computer.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, at 1:48 PM, Gregory Casamento wrote:
Gustavo,

What's the purpose of running it under Cocoa?

The buildtool utility is not meant to run on a mac.  It's purpose is to build xcode projects against GNUstep's libraries without the need for GNUmakefiles on Linux/BSD/Windows etc.  It is a replacement for xcodebuild on other platforms.

Yours, GC

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:23 PM Gustavo Tavares <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello!

So I have a version of `tools-buildtool` on my Mojave Mac.

I was able to build it. On running it though—I got this error:

> buildtool

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _ASSIGN

  Referenced from: /Users/gtk-air/Library/Frameworks/XCode.framework/XCode

  Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _ASSIGN

  Referenced from: /Users/gtk-air/Library/Frameworks/XCode.framework/XCode

  Expected in: flat namespace

Abort trap: 6

Not sure what to do :/

What should I try?

Running `grep -R __ASSIGN .`  shows *.o and *.dylib files so this is a bit above my pay-grade at present.

Thank you,

Gustavo

--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron

Re: Running `buildtool` on OSX

Gregory Casamento
One of my plans is to make a true clone of xcodebuild (i.e. replace/rewrite buildtool so that it has the same name and options).   Would this help?