State of new abi

Ivan Vučica-2
Hi,

to confirm, is current libobjc2 master incompatible with current gnustep-base master?

Stjepan has been building GNUstep using the following instructions:
and I remembered that the failure could be due to the development of the new abi.

I powered on the laptop during my vacation, took a quick look, and told him to git checkout 1.9. This seems to have worked.

Is this intentional?

Presumably -base newabi branch is not ready to be merged yet — but should libobjc2’s master branch be using the new abi then?

I think that’s fine, apart from breaking scripts that build GS from head. Travis CI is also erroring out:

Re: State of new abi

David Chisnall-7
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response - I was at a workshop last week and was a bit behind on email.

On 13 May 2018, at 22:08, Ivan Vučica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to confirm, is current libobjc2 master incompatible with current gnustep-base master?
>
> Stjepan has been building GNUstep using the following instructions:
>   http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux
> and I remembered that the failure could be due to the development of the new abi.

This is a bug in libobjc2, which I have now fixed.  I forgot that objc_slot was part of the public API and so renamed it to objc_slot_v1, which then broke things.  I have now reverted its name to objc_slot and introduced a new objc_slot2, which fixes the issue.

> I powered on the laptop during my vacation, took a quick look, and told him to git checkout 1.9. This seems to have worked.
>
> Is this intentional?

No, it was a bug (though the master branch of libobjc2 may contain experimental code so may be less reliable than a release).

On a related note, I have had no feedback at all from requests to test the 1.9 and master branches in preparation for the 1.9 and 2.0 releases.

> Presumably -base newabi branch is not ready to be merged yet — but should libobjc2’s master branch be using the new abi then?

I have some other changes in the -base newabi branch.  It’s probably fine to merge the changes so support the support for the new NSConstantString parts, but unfortunately the new constant string exposes some bugs in -base’s unicode handling (in particular, incompatibilities with NSString and GSString), which are probably exposed by other NSString subclasses.

> I think that’s fine, apart from breaking scripts that build GS from head. Travis CI is also erroring out:
>   https://travis-ci.org/gnustep/libs-base

The -base Travis script should be building libobjc2 without tests.  The libobjc2 Travis script builds it with tests and runs them.