StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Riccardo,

I added some subfolders of subfolders... with new files to the source
folder. F.e. :

TRAVAIL/COURS/3LA/Dictee39
TRAVAIL/COURS/3LA/Dictee310

When I made a sync with StepSync to the target :
'TRAVAIL' on a removable device
where the path 'COURS/3LA' was already there,
I found two issues :

1) The new subfolders have been appended at the root of the Target
folder 'TRAVAIL' : bad path. We should expect the new path to be
created like 'mkdir -p in the CLI'.
2) And these folders were empty : we should not expect the files to be
copied in each folder when the path is wrong. So the 2nd issue seemed
linked to the first.

I suspected something went wrong because the status between the two
folders showed inconsistent numbers in the window of StepSync after it
proceeded.

Are you using something like rsync under the UI ?
Maybe you already know those issues and planned to correct those in
the upcoming release ?

Patrick

Re: StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

Riccardo Mottola-5
Hi Patrick,

Patrick Cardona via Discussion list for the GNUstep programming
environment wrote:

> Hi Riccardo,
>
> I added some subfolders of subfolders... with new files to the source
> folder. F.e. :
>
> TRAVAIL/COURS/3LA/Dictee39
> TRAVAIL/COURS/3LA/Dictee310
>
> When I made a sync with StepSync to the target :
> 'TRAVAIL' on a removable device
> where the path 'COURS/3LA' was already there,
> I found two issues :
>
> 1) The new subfolders have been appended at the root of the Target
> folder 'TRAVAIL' : bad path. We should expect the new path to be
> created like 'mkdir -p in the CLI'.
> 2) And these folders were empty : we should not expect the files to be
> copied in each folder when the path is wrong. So the 2nd issue seemed
> linked to the first.
>
> I suspected something went wrong because the status between the two
> folders showed inconsistent numbers in the window of StepSync after it
> proceeded.
>
> Are you using something like rsync under the UI ?
> Maybe you already know those issues and planned to correct those in
> the upcoming release ?

this is a little bit unexpected, I have used StepSync hundreds of times
for my own use.
I do not use rsync under the UI, the engine is "mine" and completely
written inside GNUstep's Base capabilities.

However, I did really a lot of work in 0.2 comparted to past release.
Really revamped the core, added multi-threading and fixed countless
things. I never have seen your specific bug, but maybe it is "fixed by
miracle" ?
Now that you have full GAP you could try it if you want.

Re: StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Riccardo,

I built the last release of StepSync I found from the gap repo (i.e.
1.1 according to the info panel) and I could test a sync of a large
amount of data from a mounted usb hard drive (source) to my ssd drive
(target) where my home directory is set : 15,5 GiB with a plenty of
subfolders and 2679 files (music). All those folders ans files were
created/copied and the analysis did a correct check after all.
I also noted that the gauge (progress bar) was working fine.

Cheers,
Patrick

On 2020-06-29 23:28:29 +0200 Riccardo Mottola

On 2020-07-06 20:33, Patrick Cardona wrote:
> I built the last release of StepSync I found from the gap repo (i.e.
> 1.1 according to the info panel) and I could test a sync of a large
> amount of data from a mounted usb hard drive (source) to my ssd drive
> (target) where my home directory is set : 15,5 GiB with a plenty of
> subfolders and 2679 files (music). All those folders ans files were
> created/copied and the analysis did a correct check after all.
> I also noted that the gauge (progress bar) was working fine.

Very nice. You are using it exactly what I wrote this for, although for
images instead of music (but the tool is neutral to that).

I did work on analysis, also to check for corrupted date backups, added
information about that, happens with external disks mounted on different
computers. I am still improving that, just committed some more fine
grained log out.

Good to know that things work for you, although by change I was having
issues with directories, perhaps a bit like you had. I investigated and
found the issue: Target and Source path needs to be normalized the same
way (e.g both with or without trailing / as directory bath). In case of
mixed, StepSync had issues, this could happen e.g. when copying a path
or editing it manually on one side, but using the file chooser for the
other.

I added a normalization step.

The progress bar works 99% of the time (there are corner cases depending
on the features used) and display works thanks to multithreading.

Give it a new try :-P

Re: StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Riccardo,

Thank You for the new release.

On 2020-07-26 23:57:04 +0200 Riccardo Mottola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-07-06 20:33, Patrick Cardona wrote:
>> I built the last release of StepSync I found from the gap repo (i.e.
>> 1.1
>> according to the info panel) and I could test a sync of a large
>> amount of
>> data from a mounted usb hard drive (source) to my ssd drive (target)
>> where
>> my home directory is set : 15,5 GiB with a plenty of subfolders and
>> 2679
>> files (music). All those folders ans files were created/copied and
>> the
>> analysis did a correct check after all.
>> I also noted that the gauge (progress bar) was working fine
>

> Very nice. You are using it exactly what I wrote this for, although
> for
> images instead of music (but the tool is neutral to that).
>
> I did work on analysis, also to check for corrupted date backups,
> added
> information about that, happens with external disks mounted on
> different
> computers. I am still improving that, just committed some more fine
> grained
> log out.
>

> Good to know that things work for you, although by change I was
> having issues
> with directories, perhaps a bit like you had. I investigated and
> found the
> issue: Target and Source path needs to be normalized the same way
> (e.g both
> with or without trailing / as directory bath). In case of mixed,
> StepSync had
> issues, this could happen e.g. when copying a path or editing it
> manually on
> one side, but using the file chooser for the other.
>
> I added a normalization step.
>

> The progress bar works 99% of the time (there are corner cases
> depending on
> the features used) and display works thanks to multithreading.
>

> Give it a new try :-P

I got the changed files from svn :
U    gap/system-apps/StepSync/AppController.m
U    gap/system-apps/StepSync/ChangeLog
U    gap/system-apps/StepSync/FileMap.m

I made and installed the new release and will give it a try.
I noticed also that the Info Panel did not show a new release number :
it is again 1.1. Maybe You should increment it ?

> Riccardo

Cheers,
Patrick