Tentative Objective-C Runtime Release Plan

Tentative Objective-C Runtime Release Plan

David Chisnall-7
Hello,

It has been a very long time since the 1.8 release of the runtime and there have been a lot of changes.  My current plan is to do a 1.9 release soon, shortly followed by a 2.0 release.

The 1.9 release wraps up all of the bug fixes and performance improvements from the last couple of years.

The 2.0 release is a much larger change.  It introduces the new ABI and moves to using the new ABI for its internal data structures (dynamically updating older ABI structures on load).  The new ABI is designed for forward compatibility, making it comparatively easy to extend any of the introspection structures in future versions.

I have submitted an initial cut at compiler support for clang for review:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D46052

I would encourage everyone to grab the experimental clang and libobjc2 trees and try compiling with -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-2.0:

https://github.com/davidchisnall/clang-gnustep-abi-2
https://github.com/davidchisnall/libobjc2