XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi All,

I am looking for some Password manager, very simple, like Yapet (which
is ncurses) or Keepass but with the consistency and the guidelines of
a GNUstep/Openstep app.

I found some targeted projects like these :

- MiniKeePass
https://github.com/Letterus/MiniKeePass

- myPassword
https://github.com/xcvista/myPassword

But those are XCode projects, without GNUmakefile, and so I did not
find yet how  to convert an XCode project.

I read docs on the Web about the apparently deprecated buildtool...
And it seems that ProjectManager could now read XCode projects and
generate the GNUmakefile, but I did not find the way to do it.
I tried a few things, like installing Xcode.framework, but this did
not add new actions in the ProjectCenter menu and when I try to open
an XCode project within PC, no file seems avaible to.
I a missing something, but could not find it by myself.

P.S.: Do You know that the link supplied to "GNUstep Build Guide", i.e.
http://www.gnustep.net/Documentation/BuildGuide/develop.html from the
page
http://www.gnustep.org/experience/ProjectCenter.html#Documentation
is now targeted to a blog about gambling, with an obvious abuse of the
the name "gnustep" in its title... ?

Cheers,
Patrick

https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron
https://gf.me/u/x8m3sx - My GNUstep GoFundMe

Re: XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

Gregory Casamento

Patrick,

The two TARGETED apps you mentioned are also both UIKit apps which we currently don't support.

GC

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Gregory Casamento <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Johannes Brakensiek
On 7 Jul 2020, at 20:39, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> The two TARGETED apps you mentioned are also both UIKit apps which we
> currently don't support.

The corresponding AppKit app is MacPass, which surely would be worth a
try to port it. I’d not expect it to compile using GNUstep without
changes though.

https://github.com/MacPass/MacPass

Johannes

Re: XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Gregory,

Thank You for the aknowledgement about tools-buildtool. I got it and installed it from Github, after libs-Xcode.
To test it, I tried to make "Bean.app" from the gap repo.
The app bundle was created as expected, but when I run it, a error arised :

'Bean will quit due to an unrecoverable error. Perhaps the app was renamed while Bean was running ?'
'Bean could not find MyDocument.nib'

Even the said missing file is quite there, in the English.lproj subfolder :

pi@raspberrypi:~/Fabrique/gap/ported-apps/Util/Bean $ tree build/Bean/Products/Bean.app/Resources/English.lproj/
build/Bean/Products/Bean.app/Resources/English.lproj/
├── Bean Help
├── Credits.rtf
├── InfoPlist.strings
├── Inspector.nib
├── LinkSheet.nib
├── Localizable.strings
├── MainMenu.nib
├── MarginSheet.nib
├── MyDocument.nib
└── ServicesMenu.strings

How I could enhance this behaviour ? maybe a step missing with buildtool ?

Cheers,
Patrick C.

On 2020-07-07 20:39:34 +0200 Gregory Casamento
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> The two TARGETED apps you mentioned are also both UIKit apps which we
> currently don't support.

Thank You, so I shall not try those.

Cheers,
Patrick

> GC
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Gregory Casamento
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The best tool to use right now to build your project under GNUstep,
>> if you
>> don't want to make GNUmakefiles, is buildtool.  You will need to
>> build the
>> library in libs-xcode and the tool in tools-buildtool in order to
>> install.
>> It's beta right now, but it does a pretty good job of building
>> almost any
>> Xcode project.  It doesn't currently handle workspaces, but I am
>> working on
>> that.   The deprecated tool is pbxbuild, NOT buildtool so I am not
>> sure
>> where you thought you saw that.
>

>> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM Patrick Cardona via Discussion list
>> for the
>> GNUstep programming environment <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Hi All,
>
>>> I am looking for some Password manager, very simple, like Yapet
>>> (which
>>> is ncurses) or Keepass but with the consistency and the guidelines
>>> of
>>> a GNUstep/Openstep app.
>
>>> I found some targeted projects like these :
>
>>> - MiniKeePass
>>> https://github.com/Letterus/MiniKeePass
>
>>> - myPassword
>>> https://github.com/xcvista/myPassword
>
>>> But those are XCode projects, without GNUmakefile, and so I did not
>>> find yet how  to convert an XCode project.
>
>>> I read docs on the Web about the apparently deprecated buildtool...
>>> And it seems that ProjectManager could now read XCode projects and
>>> generate the GNUmakefile, but I did not find the way to do it.
>>> I tried a few things, like installing Xcode.framework, but this did
>>> not add new actions in the ProjectCenter menu and when I try to open
>>> an XCode project within PC, no file seems avaible to.
>>> I a missing something, but could not find it by myself.
>
>>> P.S.: Do You know that the link supplied to "GNUstep Build Guide",
>>> i.e.
>>> http://www.gnustep.net/Documentation/BuildGuide/develop.html from
>>> the
>>> page
>>> http://www.gnustep.org/experience/ProjectCenter.html#Documentation
>>> is now targeted to a blog about gambling, with an obvious abuse of
>>> the
>>> the name "gnustep" in its title... ?
>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Patrick
>

>> --
>> Gregory Casamento
>> GNUstep Lead Developer / OLC, Principal Consultant
>> http://www.gnustep.org - http://heronsperch.blogspot.com
>> https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron
>> https://gf.me/u/x8m3sx - My GNUstep GoFundMe

Re: XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Johannes,

On 2020-07-07 21:42:24 +0200 Johannes Brakensiek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 20:39, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
>> The two TARGETED apps you mentioned are also both UIKit apps which we
>> currently don't support.
>
> The corresponding AppKit app is MacPass, which surely would be worth a try to
> port it. I’d not expect it to compile using GNUstep without changes though.
>
> https://github.com/MacPass/MacPass

Thank You for the link. I will try it soon, when I shall be enough experienced with buildtool.

Cheers,
Patrick C.

> Johannes

Re: XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

Gregory Casamento

The only thing I see stopping you from building MacPass is it's dependency on Carbon.  It's been 19 years, folks.  Carbon should be a thing of the distant past, though some could say the same about Cocoa, it's kind of weird to still have things which depend on Carbon.   That being said we do have a library called "Boron" which is supposed to be a replacement for Carbon, but I haven't used it so I am unaware of it's completeness.   Using Carthage under Linux and GNUstep might not work, but I am pretty certain, from a glance, that it would not be too hard to get it to work under GNUstep.

GC

Hi Johannes,

--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron
https://gf.me/u/x8m3sx - My GNUstep GoFundMe

Re: XCode project to GNUstep GNUmakefile within ProjectCenter

GNUstep - General mailing list
Hi Gregory and Johannes,

On 2020-07-08 21:45:59 +0200 Gregory Casamento <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only thing I see stopping you from building MacPass is it's dependency
> on Carbon.  It's been 19 years, folks.  Carbon should be a thing of the
> distant past, though some could say the same about Cocoa, it's kind of
> weird to still have things which depend on Carbon.   That being said we do
> have a library called "Boron" which is supposed to be a replacement for
> Carbon, but I haven't used it so I am unaware of it's completeness.   Using
> Carthage under Linux and GNUstep might not work, but I am pretty certain,
> from a glance, that it would not be too hard to get it to work under
> GNUstep.

I agree with the fact Macpass is not able to be made easily with buildtool.

Macpass
=====
pi@raspberrypi:~/Fabrique/___MacPass $ buildtool
Unable to find value for key "indentWidth" of object <PBXGroup: 0x208c15c> (PBXGroup), key = indentWidth, value = 2, object = <PBXGroup: 0x208c15c>
** Start operation Build
=== Building Project
=== Applying Build Configuration Release
=== Done Applying Build Configuration for Release
=== Building Target MacPass
=== Applying Build Configuration Release
=== Done Applying Build Configuration for Release
=== Checking Dependencies
=== Done.
=== Executing build phases...
=== Executing Sources Build Phase
        * Building MacPass/MPAutotypeDoctor.m
=== Sources Build Phase Completed
*** Failed build phase: <PBXSourcesBuildPhase: 0x1f7d70c>
=== Done...
=== Completed Executing Target Maass
=== Completed Building Project
** Build Failed

I keep on looking for alternatives...
I saw also this kind of application is already in the wish list, as the key word "Keychain".