cocoadialog / other software to port / gnustep cd

cocoadialog / other software to port / gnustep cd

Gürkan Sengün-3
hi gnusteppers

how hard would it be to port
https://github.com/cocoadialog/cocoadialog/issues/107
to gnustep? and am i the only one wanting this?

i'm also trying to list other software that might be interesting to port
to gnustep at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGNUstep

once i have a working emacs.app with the debian sid gnustep, i'll try to
make a new livecd.gnustep.org based
on that (amd64). wishes/feedback welcome

best,

Re: cocoadialog / other software to port / gnustep cd

Fred Kiefer

> Am 21.03.2018 um 14:25 schrieb Gürkan Myczko <[hidden email]>:
>
> how hard would it be to port
> https://github.com/cocoadialog/cocoadialog/issues/107
> to gnustep? and am i the only one wanting this?
>
> i'm also trying to list other software that might be interesting to port to gnustep at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGNUstep
>
> once i have a working emacs.app with the debian sid gnustep, i'll try to make a new livecd.gnustep.org based
> on that (amd64). wishes/feedback welcome

I don’t see the point of porting this. But if you want to, just go ahead. You will need clang with libobjc2 and libdispatch. You also need to implement a few missing classes in GNUstep gui like NSVisualEffectView and NSLayoutConstraint. The later might actually be a nice addition.

Fred

Gürkan Myczko wrote:
> hi gnusteppers
>
> how hard would it be to port
> https://github.com/cocoadialog/cocoadialog/issues/107
> to gnustep? and am i the only one wanting this?

at a first glance, it is not really released. There seemed to be an old
version which from the screenshots was of the 10.2/10.3 aera, but then
new the "stuff" is not finished yet.
Maybe you are the only one wanting this, I never heard of it.

> i'm also trying to list other software that might be interesting to
> port to gnustep at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGNUstep

I would add: LaternaMagica, Graphos and GSPdf. I miss LaternaMagica
which I extra wrote as a convenient image viewer for GS and use daily,
while Graphos will improve for the next release (due really soon!). It
the least useful application of the 3 mentioned, but is some sort of
GNUstep demonstrator. The to-release version improves and I did use it
for some "real" work.

Especially the latter is really my standard Print previewer and works
like a charme! being a ghsotscript wrapper, it renders more reliably
than xpdf or poppler based things, it support PS itself best of course.

> once i have a working emacs.app with the debian sid gnustep, i'll try
> to make a new livecd.gnustep.org based
> on that (amd64). wishes/feedback welcome

Emacs is a nut to crack to make portable, but on Linux the newest
release is a bit usale, but I do get issues, I still use the gtk version
for coding.
Getting emacs really work with GNUstep and then make it also usable on
BSD would be a great achievement for 2018! I'd love it, I spent several
hours with only minimal fixes though.