gnustep-back without freetype

I'm byilding back on my ol' solaris box.

It has a fairly old environment and no pkg-config, which I couldn't get
to build,  btw. It fails with:

checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h presence... no
checking for DPS/dpsNXargs.h... no
checking for freetype2... no
configure: error: in `/export/home/multix/gnustep-src/gnustep-back-0.26.2':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FREETYPE_CFLAGS
and FREETYPE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

However, configure advertises:
   --without-freetype Do not check for or include freetype

but... I get the failure anyway.

I actually have an older freetype2 package, I don't know if it is good
enough, it still uses freetype-config

 > freetype-config --cflags
-I/opt/csw/include/freetype2 -I/opt/csw/include
 > freetype-config --libs
-L/opt/csw/lib -lfreetype -lz

I can pass those values to FREETYPE_CFLAGS and FREETYPE_LIBS, but that
is geting in the mess I had on NetBSD some days ago...
If we still support buliding without freetype, --without-freetype should
work :)

It actually passes the freetype check and builds, but has other strange
issues I was not getting before!

Re: gnustep-back without freetype

Fred Kiefer
Hi Riccardo,

as far as I am aware the cairo backend won’t build without freetype. So most likely you are building the xlib or the art backend. And if you do, you really should state this. These backends are deprecated. If you get them to work on your machine, fine. If you don’t, I won’t be able to help you. And nobody else will, as long as you don’t write what is happening when you try to use this specific setup :-(

Fred

> Am 22.03.2018 um 01:07 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <[hidden email]>:
>
> I'm byilding back on my ol' solaris box.
>
> It has a fairly old environment and no pkg-config, which I couldn't get to build,  btw. It fails with:
>
> checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h presence... no
> checking for DPS/dpsNXargs.h... no
> checking for freetype2... no
> configure: error: in `/export/home/multix/gnustep-src/gnustep-back-0.26.2':
> configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
> path to pkg-config.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FREETYPE_CFLAGS
> and FREETYPE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> However, configure advertises:
>  --without-freetype Do not check for or include freetype
>
> but... I get the failure anyway.
>
> I actually have an older freetype2 package, I don't know if it is good enough, it still uses freetype-config
>
> > freetype-config --cflags
> -I/opt/csw/include/freetype2 -I/opt/csw/include
> > freetype-config --libs
> -L/opt/csw/lib -lfreetype -lz
>
> I can pass those values to FREETYPE_CFLAGS and FREETYPE_LIBS, but that is geting in the mess I had on NetBSD some days ago...
> If we still support buliding without freetype, --without-freetype should work :)
>
> It actually passes the freetype check and builds, but has other strange issues I was not getting before!
>
> Riccardo

Re: gnustep-back without freetype

Riccardo Mottola-5
Hoi Fred,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> as far as I am aware the cairo backend won’t build without freetype. So most likely you are building the xlib or the art backend. And if you do, you really should state this. These backends are deprecated. If you get them to work on your machine, fine. If you don’t, I won’t be able to help you. And nobody else will, as long as you don’t write what is happening when you try to use this specific setup:-(

yes absolutely, this is xlib, the most portable backend we have, very useful
I think it was my fault, after updating all our flags, it has become
more sensitive. It actually picked up a too-old version of something.
I tried again from zero and without-freetype and it correctly skipped
the test and everything built fine.

I was happily running Ink.app on GNUstep on Solaris and SPARC v9 (Netra
T1 1U Server) :)
In case somebody wants to write Server applications and have a GNUstep
gui to manage them... we are ready :)
Later on I also was able to compile and start GNUMail! I did not test it
it much because it did not connect, but I will investigate. It was
already nice to see it coming up.

Happens that I always use your app as a test...