gorm problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gorm problem

allynm
Hello everyone,

I just installed gorm-1.2.20.  When I attempt to start it up on the command line, I get the following error message:

Module /home/mark/libobjc2//home/mark/libobjc2/Protocol2.m version 9 doesn't match runtime 8
Could someone explain what the message means and what steps can be taken to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Mark Allyn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

Fred Kiefer
Looks like the libobjc2 runtime used to compile Gorm does not match the rest of your system. If you did install Gorm from a package it is best to compile it yourself. If you already compiled it manually then part of your system is out of step. Best thing to do is to reconfigure and recompile the whole GNUstep stack from scratch.

Hope this helps,
Fred

On the road

Am 01.07.2015 um 00:11 schrieb allynm <[hidden email]>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just installed gorm-1.2.20.  When I attempt to start it up on the command
> line, I get the following error message:
>
>
>> Module /home/mark/libobjc2//home/mark/libobjc2/Protocol2.m version 9
>> doesn't match runtime 8
>
> Could someone explain what the message means and what steps can be taken to
> fix the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Allyn
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gnustep.8.n7.nabble.com/gorm-problem-tp39458.html
> Sent from the GNUstep - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnustep mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep

_______________________________________________
Discuss-gnustep mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

allynm
Fred,

I downloaded the package from GNU.org and compiled it doing the usual cycle.  What I later discovered after persistent googling was that if you do "openapp Gorm" on the command line, you don't get the abort.  Gorm runs.

However, what I also discovered later was that after compiling a simple AppKit program, that program bombs with the same error message.

Could it be that the latest version of Gorm doesn't run with libobjc2?

Mark
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

allynm
In reply to this post by Fred Kiefer
Fred,

When I compile a non-gui application using gnustep everything works fine.  I have ARC, I have blocks, and I have functioning dispatch queues.  And no aborts or mismatches of version 9 with runtime 8.

When I try to run a gui program however it immediately bombs with the aforementioned error.

Something about gui's.....

In a previous response to an individual with the same error you suggested recompiling the whole shebang "in the right order".  Could you share with me what the right order is?  

Thanks,
Mark Allyn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

Fred Kiefer
The correct order to compile GNUstep is easy. I still do it about every other week :-)

- compile libobjc if you want to have your own version
- start wit GNUstep make
- base is second
- next gui
- and finally back

Make sure that each step is actually using the results from the previous step and that the compiled results will end up in the expected directories. (System Layout and installation domain)
That should do the trick.

Fred

On the road

Am 01.07.2015 um 22:05 schrieb allynm <[hidden email]>:

> Fred,
>
> When I compile a non-gui application using gnustep everything works fine.  I
> have ARC, I have blocks, and I have functioning dispatch queues.  And no
> aborts or mismatches of version 9 with runtime 8.
>
> When I try to run a gui program however it immediately bombs with the
> aforementioned error.
>
> Something about gui's.....
>
> In a previous response to an individual with the same error you suggested
> recompiling the whole shebang "in the right order".  Could you share with me
> what the right order is?  
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Allyn
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gnustep.8.n7.nabble.com/gorm-problem-tp39458p39462.html
> Sent from the GNUstep - General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnustep mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep

_______________________________________________
Discuss-gnustep mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

Richard Frith-Macdonald-7
In reply to this post by allynm

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 21:05, allynm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Fred,
>
> When I compile a non-gui application using gnustep everything works fine.  I
> have ARC, I have blocks, and I have functioning dispatch queues.  And no
> aborts or mismatches of version 9 with runtime 8.
>
> When I try to run a gui program however it immediately bombs with the
> aforementioned error.
>
> Something about gui's…..

Well that sounds like your gnustep-base library was built/linked with one version of the runtime, and your gnustep-gnu library (or perhaps some other library using in gui programs) was built/linked with a different version of the runtime.
When you then try to run any gui app, parts of the app will expect/use different runtime libraries.
Rather than trying to work out which bits are using the wrong runtime, it’s generally easier to build everything from scratch … on modern machines that only takes a few minutes of actual compile/build time.

The correct order is:
1. configure/build/install gnustep-make if you need it to build the runtime (depends which runtime you want to use, otherwise skip this stage)
2. configure/build/install the runtime (to be absolutely safe, make sure you remove any/all old runtimes first)
3. configure/install gnustep-make (again … so it knows about the runtime you just built/installed)
4. configure/build/install gnustep-gui
5. configure/build/install gnustep-back
6. everything else :-)



_______________________________________________
Discuss-gnustep mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gorm problem

allynm
In reply to this post by Fred Kiefer
Fred (and Richard)

I finally traced the problem to a faulty line in the GNUmakefile.  I wrote ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS=-L/usr/local/lib and so the library path that got searched was looking for a faulty .so.

Commenting the line out led to a perfect compilation and linking.  I wish I could say the program runs correctly--must be some bad code in it--but at least it tries!

Thanks for the help!

Mark