libobjc2

James Carthew
Hi guys,

I'm getting back into Objective-C again and I was wondering what the appropriate runtime is to use? I'm on Debian Linux Buster and have libobjc-8 installed. Should I be replacing this with the GNUstep libobjc2 runtime? The version numbers are getting very confusing.

Re: libobjc2

Ivan Vučica
If you want to maximize the amount of features you get out of the runtime, the answer is yes. Use GNUstep libobjc2 with Clang.

If you are just getting back into it, and are not sure how much runtime support you need for properties and other advanced features, you could get by with GCC runtime with Clang, or even GCC runtime with GCC. Core contributors use a variety of setups including GCC runtime + GCC.