libs-gui with fling 2.1

Mettke, Marc
Dear GnuStep-Team,

I'm trying to build the libs-gui code in version "gui-0_26_2" from [1] using flite 2.1. The presence of flite is detected at [2] but the build fails with [3]. The build however works if I'm using flite 1.4.

Is flite in version 2 supported or is it required to use flite version 1?

Best Regards
Marc Mettke

[2]
checking flite/flite.h usability... yes
checking flite/flite.h presence... yes
checking for flite/flite.h... yes
[3] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lflite_cmu_us_kal

Re: libs-gui with fling 2.1

Fred Kiefer
Hi Marc,

I never did use flite myself, so I had to check the internet whether there was a change in packaging. But I did not find anything that suggests this. At least the documentation at http://www.festvox.org/flite/doc/flite_7.html#C-example still suggests to link against this file. Could you please check which lib files did get installed for flite 2.1?

For us it would be helpful to get a few more basic informations from you. Which operation system are you using and how did you install flite?

Cheers,
Fred

> Am 26.01.2018 um 06:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear GnuStep-Team,
>
> I'm trying to build the libs-gui code in version "gui-0_26_2" from [1] using flite 2.1. The presence of flite is detected at [2] but the build fails with [3]. The build however works if I'm using flite 1.4.
>
> Is flite in version 2 supported or is it required to use flite version 1?
>
> Best Regards
> Marc Mettke
>
> [1] https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/releases
> [2]
> checking flite/flite.h usability... yes
> checking flite/flite.h presence... yes
> checking for flite/flite.h... yes
> [3] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lflite_cmu_us_kal
> [4] https://app.box.com/s/c8u2wll61ww2z2guf3n7pu0qiqjciuc2

Re: libs-gui with fling 2.1

Mettke, Marc
Hey Fred,

thanks for the quick response.

OS: archlinux
flite 2.1 files:
- usr/include/flite/flite.h
- usr/include/flite/flite_version.h
filte installation: pacman -S flite

Interesting enough both packages do install flite in the same directory with the same name. However flite 2.1 does not contain "flite_cmu_us_kal" but only "flite_cmu_us_kal16".

Best
Marc

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marc,

I never did use flite myself, so I had to check the internet whether there was a change in packaging. But I did not find anything that suggests this. At least the documentation at http://www.festvox.org/flite/doc/flite_7.html#C-example still suggests to link against this file. Could you please check which lib files did get installed for flite 2.1?

For us it would be helpful to get a few more basic informations from you. Which operation system are you using and how did you install flite?

Cheers,
Fred

> Am 26.01.2018 um 06:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear GnuStep-Team,
>
> I'm trying to build the libs-gui code in version "gui-0_26_2" from [1] using flite 2.1. The presence of flite is detected at [2] but the build fails with [3]. The build however works if I'm using flite 1.4.
>
> Is flite in version 2 supported or is it required to use flite version 1?
>
> Best Regards
> Marc Mettke
>
> [1] https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/releases
> [2]
> checking flite/flite.h usability... yes
> checking flite/flite.h presence... yes
> checking for flite/flite.h... yes
> [3] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lflite_cmu_us_kal
> [4] https://app.box.com/s/c8u2wll61ww2z2guf3n7pu0qiqjciuc2

Re: libs-gui with fling 2.1

Fred Kiefer
Hi Marc,

the simplest thing to test now would be to change the line in the GNUmakefile in the Tools/speech subdirectory to link to the new name instead of the old. If that works, we have to figure out why this changed and how to detect which of the libraries is present.

I just found this bit of configuration code: https://lists.freebsoft.org/pipermail/speechd/2010q3/002340.html
Looks like this was changed a long time ago :-(

Fred

> Am 26.01.2018 um 08:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey Fred,
>
> thanks for the quick response.
>
> OS: archlinux
> flite 2.1: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/flite/
> flite 2.1 files:
> - usr/include/flite/flite.h
> - usr/include/flite/flite_version.h
> filte installation: pacman -S flite
> libgui build: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=gnustep-gui
>
> Interesting enough both packages do install flite in the same directory with the same name. However flite 2.1 does not contain "flite_cmu_us_kal" but only "flite_cmu_us_kal16".
>
> Best
> Marc
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I never did use flite myself, so I had to check the internet whether there was a change in packaging. But I did not find anything that suggests this. At least the documentation at http://www.festvox.org/flite/doc/flite_7.html#C-example still suggests to link against this file. Could you please check which lib files did get installed for flite 2.1?
>
> For us it would be helpful to get a few more basic informations from you. Which operation system are you using and how did you install flite?
>
> Cheers,
> Fred
>

> > Am 26.01.2018 um 06:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Dear GnuStep-Team,
> >
> > I'm trying to build the libs-gui code in version "gui-0_26_2" from [1] using flite 2.1. The presence of flite is detected at [2] but the build fails with [3]. The build however works if I'm using flite 1.4.
> >
> > Is flite in version 2 supported or is it required to use flite version 1?
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Marc Mettke
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/releases
> > [2]
> > checking flite/flite.h usability... yes
> > checking flite/flite.h presence... yes
> > checking for flite/flite.h... yes
> > [3] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lflite_cmu_us_kal
> > [4] https://app.box.com/s/c8u2wll61ww2z2guf3n7pu0qiqjciuc2

Re: libs-gui with fling 2.1

Mettke, Marc
Hey Fred,

I forgot reply to "[hidden email]" as well and therefore don't know whether you didn't got the mail weren't able to respond yet. I'm sending it again just in case:

Seems like I'm the only one using it for the last 7 years, otherwise it would have been found already, wouldn't it :D.

Unfortunately we are not getting away that easy. The following changes were necessary to get it building again:

- sed -i 's/flite_cmu_us_kal/flite_cmu_us_kal16/g' Tools/speech/GNUmakefile
- sed -i 's/register_cmu_us_kal/register_cmu_us_kal16/g' Tools/speech/FliteSpeechEngine.m

I'm however wondering if it is necessary to detect which library is installed. The 1.4 version (at least the one I'm using) also contains the "flite_cmu_us_kal16" library and therefore the build works fine with these changes as well. Even so I don't now if that's true in general.

As a side note. The gnustep packages libs-base [1], libs-back [2] and libs-gui [3] are offering a signature. The one for libs-base however is the only one that worked for me failing the others with:

gpg: Signature made Tue 02 Jan 2018 12:00:14 AM CET
gpg:                using DSA key CA868D4C99149679
gpg: BAD signature from "GNUstep Maintainer <[hidden email]>" [unknown]

Best
Marc

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marc,

the simplest thing to test now would be to change the line in the GNUmakefile in the Tools/speech subdirectory to link to the new name instead of the old. If that works, we have to figure out why this changed and how to detect which of the libraries is present.

I just found this bit of configuration code: https://lists.freebsoft.org/pipermail/speechd/2010q3/002340.html
Looks like this was changed a long time ago :-(

Fred

> Am 26.01.2018 um 08:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey Fred,
>
> thanks for the quick response.
>
> OS: archlinux
> flite 2.1: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/flite/
> flite 2.1 files:
> - usr/include/flite/flite.h
> - usr/include/flite/flite_version.h
> filte installation: pacman -S flite
> libgui build: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=gnustep-gui
>
> Interesting enough both packages do install flite in the same directory with the same name. However flite 2.1 does not contain "flite_cmu_us_kal" but only "flite_cmu_us_kal16".
>
> Best
> Marc
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Fred Kiefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I never did use flite myself, so I had to check the internet whether there was a change in packaging. But I did not find anything that suggests this. At least the documentation at http://www.festvox.org/flite/doc/flite_7.html#C-example still suggests to link against this file. Could you please check which lib files did get installed for flite 2.1?
>
> For us it would be helpful to get a few more basic informations from you. Which operation system are you using and how did you install flite?
>
> Cheers,
> Fred
>

> > Am 26.01.2018 um 06:42 schrieb Mettke, Marc <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Dear GnuStep-Team,
> >
> > I'm trying to build the libs-gui code in version "gui-0_26_2" from [1] using flite 2.1. The presence of flite is detected at [2] but the build fails with [3]. The build however works if I'm using flite 1.4.
> >
> > Is flite in version 2 supported or is it required to use flite version 1?
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Marc Mettke
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/releases
> > [2]
> > checking flite/flite.h usability... yes
> > checking flite/flite.h presence... yes
> > checking for flite/flite.h... yes
> > [3] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lflite_cmu_us_kal
> > [4] https://app.box.com/s/c8u2wll61ww2z2guf3n7pu0qiqjciuc2

Re: libs-gui with fling 2.1

Fred Kiefer
Hi Marc,

I just committed a slightly bigger patch to GNUstep gui. There I try to detect the presence of flite_cmu_us_kal16 and only build the speech tool in that case. As I don’t have flite installed myself I have to rely on you to test this change. Could you please give it a try?

I agree with you that we should switch to the 16 bit version of the sound file. This has been around for more than seven years now and should be available on all systems where flite gets used with GNUstep.

Fred