-make option to specify runtime?

David Chisnall-7
Hello the list,

For testing the runtime’s 2.0 ABI, I am patching my post-install Makefiles to set -fobjc-runtime=2.0 instead of whatever the default is (1.7?).  Please can someone who understands how -make works add a configure-time option so that you can specify the runtime version?

Re: -make option to specify runtime?

Stjepan Brkić
Hello the list,

For testing the runtime’s 2.0 ABI, I am patching my post-install Makefiles to set -fobjc-runtime=2.0 instead of whatever the default is (1.7?). Please can someone who understands how -make works add a configure-time option so that you can specify the runtime version?

David

This sounds like a good introductory task for GSoC.
Would you mind if I took this one?

Stjepan

On 4 May 2018, at 10:42, Stjepan Brkić <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hello the list,
>>
>> For testing the runtime’s 2.0 ABI, I am patching my post-install Makefiles to set -fobjc-runtime=2.0 instead of whatever the default is (1.7?). Please can someone who understands how -make works add a configure-time option so that you can specify the runtime version?
>>
>> David
>
> This sounds like a good introductory task for GSoC.
> Would you mind if I took this one?

Go ahead.  I have a mild allergic reaction to GNU Make and autoconf, so help is very much appreciated!

Re: -make option to specify runtime?

Richard Frith-Macdonald-9

> On 4 May 2018, at 09:52, David Chisnall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello the list,
>
> For testing the runtime’s 2.0 ABI, I am patching my post-install Makefiles to set -fobjc-runtime=2.0 instead of whatever the default is (1.7?).  Please can someone who understands how -make works add a configure-time option so that you can specify the runtime version?

The current objc-runtime flag sets 1.8

If you are talking about overriding normal behavior, gnustep, make already provides the abiliity to filter out flags (even for individual files), so I expect you could add the option in your individual make file to filter out the 1.8 setting and add a 2.0 setting.

On the other hand, if you just want a quick global change in gnustep-make behavior then edit library-combo.make to say 2.0 rather than 1.8

If you are talking about changing the normal behavior for everyone, using autoconf is the way to do that ... the autoconf script should, at configure time, execute macros to determine what runtime version your compiler/runtime support.  It would then generate the makefiles to use that version.